How to be a really good DR copywriter?

We all need to start somewhere. If you have a newbie question, ask it here
ArticleWriter

How to be a really good DR copywriter?

Post by ArticleWriter »

Hello copy writers.
I have been writing articles and blog posts for some time, but now I want to be a really good direct response copywriter for sales copies.
What steps do I take to achieve this in the next 2-3 months?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: How to be a really good DR copywriter?

Post by SARubin »

ArticleWriter wrote: June 6th, 2021, 9:59 am Hello copy writers.
I have been writing articles and blog posts for some time, but now I want to be a really good direct response copywriter for sales copies.
What steps do I take to achieve this in the next 2-3 months?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Well friend, that's a pretty vague and open ended question. And there is no one-size-fits-all answer.
A lot of it depends on where you're starting from...

You have writing experience... and that's a good thing.

But do you have any sales experience?

Because when we get right down to it - Direct Response Copywriting is all about selling. (selling products, selling services, selling ideas...)

The written word is just the medium we use to present our offer.

So my first 2 questions for you are...

1 - Do you have any sales experience?

2 - What steps have you taken thus far towards learning Direct Response Copywriting?

Answer these 2 questions for me and I'll be happy to offer you advice on the next step you should take...
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Copyking

Post by Copyking »

You can read a lot of copywriting books and watch Youtube videos with trainings.
Then take what you learn and study the best converting ads and try to rewrite them to come up with a better version.
Muhammad Abdullah
Tagline: Jun. Copywriter

Post by Muhammad Abdullah »

SARubin wrote: June 6th, 2021, 11:12 am
Well friend, that's a pretty vague and open ended question. And there is no one-size-fits-all answer.
A lot of it depends on where you're starting from...

You have writing experience... and that's a good thing.

But do you have any sales experience?

Because when we get right down to it - Direct Response Copywriting is all about selling. (selling products, selling services, selling ideas...)

The written word is just the medium we use to present our offer.

So my first 2 questions for you are...

1 - Do you have any sales experience?

2 - What steps have you taken thus far towards learning Direct Response Copywriting?

Answer these 2 questions for me and I'll be happy to offer you advice on the next step you should take...
Hello SARubin,
I've got the same question.

the answer to your 2 questions are;
No, I don't have any sales experience from the past 7 years. Though I was a salesman for like 6-7 years but I was a teenager then. So don't have that much sales experience now.
Answer to Q2.
I've completed a 2 months Copywriting Course here(in Pakistan) from a non-native currently active copywriter and learned the basics of it. What would you suggest to me?
How can I polish this skill? How much time should I spend on this skill? I'm a non-native but my education from 11th to 16th grade was in English so I'm at intermediate level now. I'm enthusiastic about this skill. So, I need your kind suggestion. Thank you
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:28 pm
Hello SARubin,
I've got the same question.
Hello Muhammad,

And welcome to the copywriters forum.
Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:28 pm No, I don't have any sales experience from the past 7 years. Though I was a salesman for like 6-7 years but I was a teenager then. So don't have that much sales experience now.
That's OK - We all need to begin somewhere.

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:28 pm I've completed a 2 months Copywriting Course here(in Pakistan) from a non-native currently active copywriter and learned the basics of it. What would you suggest to me?
OK, you're off to a good start.

I don't know what that course teaches, so let me ask you...

What is the most important thing you learned about copywriting from the course?

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:28 pm How can I polish this skill?
The best way to polish your writing, is to write... everyday.

I know this feels like an obvious answer, but if you ask any great writer they'll tell you the same thing. So maybe there's some truth to it?

Practice makes us better, as long as we're practicing the right things.

Since you're just starting out, I recommend you start with one of the most popular copywriting "secrets" of all time.

You may be wondering "how can it be popular and still be a secret ?"

It's popular because the method has been around for a long time, and most copywriters have heard of it.

It's a secret because few beginners ever take the time to actually do it.

Would you like to know what it is?

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:28 pmHow much time should I spend on this skill?
That depends on how dedicated you are. The more you write, the better you'll get.

I write a couple hours a day (sometimes less, sometimes more) but even if you only write 15 minutes a day, it adds up. And 15 minutes a day is better than a whole day of nothing

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 5th, 2022, 7:28 pmI'm a non-native but my education from 11th to 16th grade was in English so I'm at intermediate level now.
Your written English is already good enough to write persuasive direct response sales copy.

The more you write, the better you'll get. But you're already plenty good enough.
Right now you just need to focus on fundamental copywriting skills

Again, welcome to the forum, Muhammad. And let me know if you'd like to learn about that secret

All the best,
Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
Muhammad Abdullah

Hello Muhammad,
welcome to the copywriters forum
Thank you very much.
OK, you're off to a good start.

I don't know what that course teaches, so let me ask you...

What is the most important thing you learned about copywriting from the course?
The course taught copywriting especially sales copy. We learned
- the headline
-Hook
-Flow & Transitions
-Lead
-Closing
-Unique mechanism and everything about copy.

A great deal I learned about copy is selling is based on emotions later justified by facts.
The best way to polish your writing, is to write... every day.

I know this feels like an obvious answer, but if you ask any great writer they'll tell you the same thing. So maybe there's some truth to it?
I've already started that, but it seems really hard to me. I'm more of a person who likes reading and absorbing information. Implementation is really difficult for me most of the times( I procrastinate a lot)

Would you like to know what it is?
I'd love to know about this secret.
Your written English is already good enough to write persuasive direct response sales copy.
Thank you for this comment. It gives me courage.
The more you write, the better you'll get. But you're already plenty good enough.
Right now you just need to focus on fundamental copywriting skills
Sure, kindly guide me more about fundamentals. Actually, I'm the only earning member of my family and I want to earn from this skill from the next month. The plan is I'm spending my full time this month on copywriting. So kindly do guide me and tell me about the secret.

Again, welcome to the forum, Muhammad. And let me know if you'd like to learn about that secret

All the best,
Steve
Thank you so much for your kind words and reply. I really appreciate it.
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 6th, 2022, 2:13 pm
The course taught copywriting especially sales copy. We learned
- the headline
-Hook
-Flow & Transitions
-Lead
-Closing
-Unique mechanism and everything about copy.

A great deal I learned about copy is selling is based on emotions later justified by facts.
OK good, those are the basic fundamentals. And with practice you'll get better at them.
The best way to polish your writing, is to write... every day.

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 6th, 2022, 2:13 pmI've already started that, but it seems really hard to me. I'm more of a person who likes reading and absorbing information. Implementation is really difficult for me most of the times( I procrastinate a lot)
Unfortunately there is no way around the act of physically writing (it's kinda what we do)

Reading and absorbing new information is great, I'm a lifelong student myself, and when you do it every day you'll become much better at learning new things. But it's hard to make a living at it.

At some point, if you want people to pay you money, you need to give them something in return (a product, or a service, or a good charitable feeling) that's worth more to them than the money in their pocket.

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 6th, 2022, 2:13 pm I'd love to know about this secret.

Sure, kindly guide me more about fundamentals. Actually, I'm the only earning member of my family and I want to earn from this skill from the next month. The plan is I'm spending my full time this month on copywriting. So kindly do guide me and tell me about the secret.

The first secret is the one I just used to get you to respond to my post...

The biggest "secret" of sales copy is finding out what your reader wants and offering it to them.

I know you desperately want to learn direct response copywriting. So I dangled the answer in front of you, teased you with a solution, and I got you to "directly respond" to my message.

See how that works?

So the first secret is UNDERSTAND YOUR MARKET - Researching your market and learning what a group of people want or need is the most powerful step in selling anything.

When you know what people fear, or desire, it becomes easier to tie your offer into what they already want, using the same kind of language they use.

THE SECOND SECRET is not really a secret. It's the one I referred to in my previous post (the one you came back here to learn)...

It's the most amazing way to learn good copywriting, fast...

If you hang around most copywriting groups you'll find many people who already know this "secret". And that's why I called it the most "popular secret" for learning to write copy.

Some will tell you it's garbage, and you don't need it. These are the people who will never do it.

The few who actually do the work, understand the truth... It's not garbage. It works!

But again, you need to physically do it if you want it to work...

First, you want to find an example of great sales copy, that's made a lot of sales, written by one of the top copywriters who you admire most.

I like Clayton Makepeace, Eugene Schwartz, Gary Halbert, and a few others. But you can choose any top performing sales copywriter you're attracted to.

Next, you want to write out one of their better performing pieces of copy, by hand, word for word.

This will help you get a true feeling for writing good copy. And because you don't need to think about what to write, it allows your motor neurons (eye to hand to mind coordination) to absorb the act of writing good copy structure and flow without your conscious mind editing your thoughts and disrupting the lessons.

For the best and fastest results you want to do this with pen (or pencil) on paper.
Using a keyboard can still work, but it's much slower because it doesn't engage the same motor neurons.

I recommend doing this at least 3 to 5 times.

You can do one sales letter a day, or you can take a couple days for each one, it's up to you how fast you want the lessons to sink in. But I guarantee they will instill themselves in you if you do the work.

After you've honestly done this a few times, Muhammad, come back here and I'll teach you the next lesson.

All the best,
Steve
Muhammad Abdullah

At some point, if you want people to pay you money, you need to give them something in return (a product, or a service, or a good charitable feeling) that's worth more to them than the money in their pocket.
This same quote I've quoted in my diary with your name. hhh Thank You for this(From Youtubers and other fellows I learned "It's not about money it's about value, but Your this quote has hit me. It's more like a copy relevant)

The biggest "secret" of sales copy is finding out what your reader wants and offering it to them.

Amazing!
So the first secret is UNDERSTAND YOUR MARKET - Researching your market and learning what a group of people want or need is the most powerful step in selling anything.
Yep, that's true. I learned the process in the course.
When you know what people fear, or desire, it becomes easier to tie your offer into what they already want, using the same kind of language they use.
:) I love finding and using the right words.

First, you want to find an example of great sales copy, that's made a lot of sales, written by one of the top copywriters who you admire most.

I like Clayton Makepeace, Eugene Schwartz, Gary Halbert, and a few others. But you can choose any top performing sales copywriter you're attracted to.

Next, you want to write out one of their better performing pieces of copy, by hand, word for word.

This will help you get a true feeling for writing a good copy. And because you don't need to think about what to write, it allows your motor neurons (eye to hand to mind coordination) to absorb the act of writing good copy structure and flow without your conscious mind editing your thoughts and disrupting the lessons.
That's I'm doing for the past 3 days. I'm typing(Keyboard) Stefan Georgi Sales letter which I found luckily a few days ago. I prefer learning from Currently active Copywriters like yourself. I think the market is changing, hence the people awareness too. So learning the ongoing sales letters will benefit me a lot. That's what I learned from the Boron letters.
I thought if I'm writing by hand then I would always need a pen and a notebook and I don't want that, so I started typing a copy. but I think that's not much effective. My major is (Zoology-Branch of Biology) so I do know a little bit about mind too, luckily, so from today I'm practicing with pen and a notebook as you suggested.

Didn't get this part clearly!
You can do one sales letter a day, or you can take a couple days for each one, it's up to you how fast you want the lessons to sink in. But I guarantee they will instill themselves in you if you do the work.
That's what I'm gonna do these 3 weeks.🚗🚗🚗
And if you have some referrals to any great sales copies(that I can find on the internet), please mention that.
I already found a nugget with just a few clicks. Wanna see that?
here it is (https://www.sarmarketing.net/professional-copywriter) What a client-focused webpage sales copy. Stunning.

Great Copy I must say.
After you've honestly done this a few times, Muhammad, come back here and I'll teach you the next lesson.

All the best,
Steve
Thank You Very much for this guidance Mr Steve Rubin.
It means a lot. I appreciate it.

There's many words in my culture we write for respect and Thank you but I've to use just these above two sentences cause idk much respect and thank you words in English. :)/
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 8th, 2022, 5:28 pm

Didn't get this part clearly!
3 to 5 times is just a suggestion. The main point is to do it more than once or twice.

Writing out a letter 1 time is good practice, the 2nd time it starts to sink in, by the 3rd time it becomes familiar and you start to recognize subtle patterns in the structure and flow of the copy.
That's what I'm gonna do these 3 weeks.🚗🚗🚗
And if you have some referrals to any great sales copies(that I can find on the internet), please mention that.
I already found a nugget with just a few clicks. Wanna see that?
here it is (https://www.sarmarketing.net/professional-copywriter) What a client-focused webpage sales copy. Stunning.

Great Copy I must say.
Thank you, Muhammad. I'm humbled by your compliment :

I see you already know the next big "secret" to masterful salesmanship ;)

Flattering someone is a fine way to build rapport and get them to like you. And when people like you they're far more likely to do business with you instead of someone else (as long as you're selling something they want).

As far as finding other copy swipe files to study, one place you can check out is Swipe-worthy at - https://swiped.co/

I don't know how often the owner updates his archives, but there's a ton of old, and new, copywriting examples you can look at and study. You can search by niche, by type of copy, by control, or by particular copywriter.

Thank You Very much for this guidance Mr Steve Rubin.
It means a lot. I appreciate it.

There's many words in my culture we write for respect and Thank you but I've to use just these above two sentences cause idk much respect and thank you words in English. :)/
I think you said it quite elegantly.

Thank YOU for the kind words Muhammad
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

:) I love finding and using the right words.

Then you have the first criteria for becoming a copywriter, because finding and using the right words is what we do :D

P.S. Welcome to the forum @Muhammad Abdullah
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Muhammad Abdullah

Welcome to the forum @Muhammad Abdullah
Thank You @Franklin.

I started my copywriting baby steps from here.
The real-time cooperation, Your personalized replies, and helpful guidance are really helping me.
It's a great platform. Keep up the good work.
Muhammad Abdullah

All the best,
Steve
I continued this exercise, I think I'm learning really well. Especially I learned, how the native writes the copy. Pakistani English is a bit different.
First two days, my hand was in pain. Then started adjusting. I'm doing it continuously.
I'm here to take guidance for the next step!

Thank You! :)
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: January 22nd, 2022, 10:07 pm
I continued this exercise, I think I'm learning really well. Especially I learned, how the native writes the copy. Pakistani English is a bit different.
First two days, my hand was in pain. Then started adjusting. I'm doing it continuously.
I'm here to take guidance for the next step!

Thank You! :)
Hi Muhammad,

Welcome back.

Yeah, a little pain in the hand is all part of the learning process. Like most exercises... No pain, No gain (or so the saying goes)

You mentioned you were interested in a Stefan Georgi Sales letter for this practice. Is that the letter you ended up using?

Regardless of which letter you used, the next thing I'd like you to do is type out the beginning of the sales page right here, on this forum.
This will give me an idea of what type of copy you're interested in, and it will lead us to the next lesson.

You don't need to type out the entire letter. Just the headline and first few paragraphs will be enough to get started. (first couple hundred words or so)
Make sure you format it the same way as the original (as close as possible with the editor on this forum) - Big headline, space between paragraphs, any bold, highlighted, or underlined words, etc.

Do this and we can see what you've been working with, and it will help us tie your next lesson into what you've already been working on.
Muhammad Abdullah

You mentioned you were interested in a Stefan Georgi Sales letter for this practice. Is that the letter you ended up using?
Actually, I practiced 3.7 Sales Pages.
Right after you guided me, I started writing your website copy--which I admired in the previous chat.
I wrote 60% of that.
Then I wrote two more letters. Unfortunately, yesterday I find out-that one copy I was practicing on-wasn't written by Stefan himself.
And lastly, I'm practicing a web sales copy that I really like reading. It is amazingly convincing.
I'm writing a couple-hundred words of that copy here as you directed...
Regardless of which letter you used, the next thing I'd like you to do is type out the beginning of the sales page right here, on this forum.
This will give me an idea of what type of copy you're interested in, and it will lead us to the next lesson.
If you sell a product, provide a service, or offer any kind of coaching...
there's one key ingredient keeping
your business mildly successful
instead of wildly successful:
copywriting
You're about to find out why your own words are the
#1 thing standing in the way of increasing your revenue,
effortlessly filling your programs, and helping more people.

Words. Are. Magic.
With 26 little letters, you can paint the whole f...g Universe. What would you call that, if not magic?
Today, I'm going to share some magic with you.
In a few minutes, I'm going to tell you:
*How I once generated $250,000
for my company with a selfie (7 years after it was taken)
*How a single email about olive oil made me $43,000 in a week.
*How an Instagram post about Denzel Washington and avocados landed me a book-writing contract
*and how writing a client spotlight in the form of a fairy tale brought in over $518,000 in coaching sales
Now, don't get me wrong. Making money isn't magic. Most decent marketers can create income on demand.
That's not it.
The magic is how excited people were to read it all. how these pieces still make money today. How I've used each of them over and over to make 7-figures, without doing more work.
the magic isn't just the money, but the magnetism: the way each of these cast its own spell that has ripples to this day.
Do this and we can see what you've been working with, and it will help us tie your next lesson into what you've already been working on.
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Hi Muhammad,

Based on what you posted here it looks like this person is either selling his services as a copywriter, or selling a copywriting course?

It also appears that his target market is inexperienced entrepreneurs and/or newbie copywriters. I base this on the idea of understanding "market awareness" in our copywriting.

Experienced business owners know that copywriting is important, but it's not a "magic" ingredient for business success. (There's also traffic, competitive advantage, nurturing leads, back-end sales and customer service. Just to name a few other "ingredients").

But that said, let's start with the first sentence of this copy

If you sell a product, provide a service, or offer any kind of coaching...

This is a classic way of calling out your target audience right away. Granted, this guy is casting a pretty wide net (anyone who sells a product, a service, or coaching covers just about everybody in business).

But it's OK because a lot of people might still read it and think "Hey, this guy is talking to me".

And getting our markets attention is the first thing we need to do if we want to gain their interest.

Next he says...
there's one key ingredient keeping
your business mildly successful
instead of wildly successful:
This offers a bold promise of building a wildly successful business. And it also creates bit of curiosity because it makes people wonder "there's only one thing I need, I wonder what it could be?"

Unfortunately he immediately spoils the mystery by giving away the answer a bit too soon. I personally would have stretched it out a bit longer, to draw readers further into the copy before giving away the answer.

But that's OK. We all have slightly different styles, and one day you'll develop your own style as well, Muhammad. One that works for you.

So here's your next lesson...

I'd like you to think about what you want to sell.

Do you want to sell a product?
Or do you want to sell your copywriting services to business owners?

Once you know what you want to sell, we're going to work on creating headlines for your offer.

The headline is one of the most important pieces to any offer (after understanding your market) because if our headline doesn't STOP people in their tracks and pull them into your copy, then it doesn't matter what else you write... because nobody will see it.

The best headlines will

1. Call out your ideal target market

2. Offer them a bold promise (to give them pleasure, or take away their pain)

So think about what you want to sell.
And even more important, think about "who" will buy what you're selling. (your target market)

Then write 10 headlines designed to get your ideal customers attention and interest, based on what they desire

The reason for writing multiple headlines is because the first one we come up with is rarely ever the best one. But when you write many headlines it helps you dig deeper and better ones start showing up.

I often write 10 or 20 headlines before deciding which one to use.

Plus, it gives you multiple headlines to split test with your offer.

And on top of that, we can often use the non winning headlines as subheads throughout the copy

There's a number of different headline formulas you can use and they all work in different situations. Some work better with some offers. And other work better with different offers.

Think critically about this Muhammad because one of these headlines is going to be the beginning of your offer, selling your product or service.

Here's a few posts I wrote about writing headlines, to get you started...

7 Proven Headline Formulas That Sell More Stuff

Essential ingredients for powerful headlines – (Part 1 of 2)

Essential ingredients for powerful headlines – (Part 2 of 2)

Introducing a Headline Formula Guaranteed to Pull Readers Into Your Copy

When you're done you can post your headlines here. And remember to let me know who your target market is and what you know about them. Then we can see how targeted your headlines are at addressing their problems or desires.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

All the best,
Steve
Muhammad Abdullah

Here's a few posts I wrote about writing headlines, to get you started...
I read all of them. They were so knowledgeable and practical. I noted them with myself.

I was trying to write these headlines from 29 Jan but I was afraid of writing bad ones. So didn't even try and procrastinated for these days. Today, I tell my self- by hook or by crook I'll finish this assignment, so I did it. And I'm feeling amazing after it's finished.
Have a kind look at them...

My Service and Target Market is
I'm selling copywriting services to anyone selling a product/service.
When you're done you can post your headlines here. And remember to let me know who your target market is and what you know about them. Then we can see how targeted your headlines are at addressing their problems or desires.
Here's my try:
1. Can this amazing secret show you how Amazon sellers can generate an extra 37 sales per week.
2. Health niche products generated $1 Million plus sales to John and 11 others using one secret tool.
3. Discover how these 3 simple steps boomed 7 friends' services to demand.
4. Worldwide marketing agencies use this tactic and ruling on the world now.
5. "I would have started years ago If I knew this simple change can boost my revenue this big." Peter Said.
6. Amazon Seller Gets 37 extra sales each week with no extra effort.
7. A marketing specialist developed a new technique to suck in more sales in a minimum amount of time.
8. Selling this product is illegal, immediately withdraw yourself if you're selling it.
9. After this new sales page you'll get at least double ROI in just 7 days or money back.
10. "I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw I'm out of stock after 3 days of publishing this new Web Sales Copy."
Writing these 10 headlines was the toughest job of my copywriting experience.
I burnt out a lot of mental energy creating these headlines.
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:17 pm I was trying to write these headlines from 29 Jan but I was afraid of writing bad ones. So didn't even try and procrastinated for these days. Today, I tell my self- by hook or by crook I'll finish this assignment, so I did it. And I'm feeling amazing after it's finished.
You're in good company, Muhammad. Many well established writers throughout history have said "I don’t like to write, but I enjoy having written".

As far as writing bad stuff...

Of course you're going to write bad stuff. We all do. I've written thousands of pages in my life. Some of it's good and some of it's not.

Truth is, nobody drops gold nuggets every time they sit down at the keyboard.
As long as you stick with it and keep moving forward you'll keep getting better.

Now let's look at your headlines...
Muhammad Abdullah wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:17 pm My Service and Target Market is
I'm selling copywriting services to anyone selling a product/service.

Here's my try:
1. Can this amazing secret show you how Amazon sellers can generate an extra 37 sales per week.
2. Health niche products generated $1 Million plus sales to John and 11 others using one secret tool.
3. Discover how these 3 simple steps boomed 7 friends' services to demand.
4. Worldwide marketing agencies use this tactic and ruling on the world now.
5. "I would have started years ago If I knew this simple change can boost my revenue this big." Peter Said.
6. Amazon Seller Gets 37 extra sales each week with no extra effort.
7. A marketing specialist developed a new technique to suck in more sales in a minimum amount of time.
8. Selling this product is illegal, immediately withdraw yourself if you're selling it.
9. After this new sales page you'll get at least double ROI in just 7 days or money back.
10. "I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw I'm out of stock after 3 days of publishing this new Web Sales Copy."
Some of these are good, and with a few small grammar tweaks could be used as headlines, or used within the body of the copy (subheads, bullet points, etc.)
You can definitely save these in your personal files and maybe use them as part of your sales copy one day.
At the very least you now have the beginning of a portfolio of things you've written.

Just the fact that you did the work is a good sign. I've given this same assignment to dozens of inexperienced copywriters, and many of them disappeared on me because they didn't want to do the actual work. But you faced your hesitation and did it. Good job!

The next assignment is for you to take one of your headlines and write the first sentence of your copy.

Keep in mind, each sentence needs to flow from the last one to keep your reader reading.

One of the main jobs of our headline is to pull our reader in and get them to read the first sentence of our copy.

And the main job of our first sentence is to maintain enough interest - through curiosity, or a bold promise, or touching on a solution to a pain point - so our reader reads the next sentence.

In other words... our opening needs to flow directly from our headline, and each sentence needs to smoothly flow from the previous sentence, because the further we pull people into our copy the better chance we have of building their desire to take action on our offer.

And we need to always stay focused on the one thing you want your reader to do.

In your case you're selling copywriting services to anyone selling a product/service. So our main goal is to sell your reader on the idea of contacting you for your services

Of course anyone selling a product/service is a pretty wide market and you'll probably want to narrow down your niche. And we'll get to that soon.

But for now let's just work on transitioning from your headline into your opening sentence.

So for example, using your headline #1 and #6 together (I'm only using them together because they easily tie into each other) we could write...

Can this amazing secret show you how Amazon sellers can generate an extra 37 sales per week?

If you sell on Amazon and would like to easily increase your sales then pay attention, because in the next 2 minutes I'm going to show you exactly how one Amazon Seller Gets 37 extra sales each week with no extra effort.
And from here we can talk about how copywriting is the key ingredient that separates their offer from the competition. And why you're the best copywriter to help them improve their sales copy.

So pick 3 of your headlines from above...

And write an opening sentence or two that flows from each of the headlines.

Stay focused on who you're writing for (your target market) and the direction you want your reader to follow...

Do this for all 3 headlines and this will give us 3 different openings for the beginning of your offer selling your copywriting services.

After you've done this we can take the next step...

Muhammad Abdullah wrote: February 2nd, 2022, 9:17 pmWriting these 10 headlines was the toughest job of my copywriting experience.
I burnt out a lot of mental energy creating these headlines.
It gets easier. Like any exercise, you burned a lot of energy but you strengthened your muscles (your copywriting muscles).

With your permission, Muhammad, I'd like to send you a couple of copywriting books in PDF format.

They're older books that were written by a couple of copywriting masters, and they can give you a solid foundation for what it takes to create persuasive advertising. One is titled "Scientific Adverting" by Claude Hopkins and the other is "How to Write a Good Advertisement" by Victor O. Schwab

If you already have these books then that's great. But if not Just let me know if it's OK for me to send them to you
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

@Muhammad Abdullah
I've been watching this thread and I applaud you for taking such an active interest in copywriting.
For whatever it's worth to you, I'm cheering for you to be successful. \clap/

- F
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Muhammad Abdullah

Franklin wrote: February 4th, 2022, 3:36 pm @Muhammad Abdullah
I've been watching this thread and I applaud you for taking such an active interest in copywriting.
For whatever it's worth to you, I'm cheering for you to be successful. \clap/

- F
Thank you very much for your words, Frank.
Copywriting is Now my Career. For the past 6 months, I'm religiously learning it and hoping for the best out of it.
I appreciate your support here. It works like a pat on the back.
Muhammad Abdullah

You can definitely save these in your personal files and maybe use them as part of your sales copy one day.
At the very least you now have the beginning of a portfolio of things you've written.
I'm definitely keeping them saved. But are they worthy enough to be shown as a portfolio to someone?
With your permission, Muhammad, I'd like to send you a couple of copywriting books in PDF format.

They're older books that were written by a couple of copywriting masters, and they can give you a solid foundation for what it takes to create persuasive advertising. One is titled "Scientific Adverting" by Claude Hopkins and the other is "How to Write a Good Advertisement" by Victor O. Schwab

Please kindly share these books. I'll really appreciate that! :)
The next assignment is for you to take one of your headlines and write the first sentence of your copy.
Pick 3 of your headlines...

And write an opening sentence or two that flows from each of the headlines.
Stay focused on who you're writing for (your target market) and the direction you want your reader to follow...

Do this for all 3 headlines and this will give us 3 different openings for the beginning of your offer selling your copywriting services.
After you've done this we can take the next step...
Target Market: Cold audience and business owners having a bad website copy--I'm offering them a brand new conversion-focused website sales copy.

#1. There's a leak in Your business and Your competitors are taking advantage of it...

Bill Gate says"If your business is not on the internet, then your business will be out of business."
Thank God you don't belong to this category but you're still prone to the consequences of this fact...

#2. Can this letter show you how to get 17 extra sales per week--starting from the next week-- with no extra effort?

If you're selling products and want to increase easy sales with an absolute zero extra effort then pay attention, because in the next 4 mins I'm going to show you how these three businesses each are getting an extra 17 sales per week.

#3. These Top 10 companies also use this One Simple technique to get Hundreds of extra Sales."

If you are worried about your company's growth and want more sales with no real effort then standstill. In the next 3 mins, I'm revealing the Secret but a hugely used way of generating extra sales that really matters in Your company's growth...

This practice was a bit easier and I'm amazed when I'm writing one complete to 2 sentences another idea pops out in the flow.
But when I'm very conscious about them, they don't appear or appear with a harder try but with a bad form.
Share This With Friends