What was your first sale like?

We all need to start somewhere. If you have a newbie question, ask it here
Pernell P

What was your first sale like?

Post by Pernell P »

So I’m making the switch from just studying to deciding how I want to get into the copywriting game. So thought I’d ask you guys a question or two if you don’t mind.

Which do you think is best to make your first sale?

Creating your own product(s) and selling them

Or finding your first client?

Also, there’s a second thing I’m wondering about…

How did you make your first sale and what was it like? For me it’s a little intimidating starting out despite being an unproven newbie. So I’m curious to see how you guys overcame that. Thanks for reading!
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: What was your first sale like?

Post by SARubin »

Pernell P wrote: January 17th, 2020, 3:12 pm So I’m making the switch from just studying to deciding how I want to get into the copywriting game. So thought I’d ask you guys a question or two if you don’t mind.

Which do you think is best to make your first sale?

Creating your own product(s) and selling them

Or finding your first client?

Also, there’s a second thing I’m wondering about…

How did you make your first sale and what was it like? For me it’s a little intimidating starting out despite being an unproven newbie. So I’m curious to see how you guys overcame that. Thanks for reading!
After I quit my last official JOB, I started by selling products. It was an MLM company named Matol – mineral supplements, protein shakes, power bars, etc. – selling through direct mail. (wow, I just did a quick google search and it seems the company is still in business, all these years later 😯 )

At the time, I didn’t really think about it much. I knew I had to do something to survive, so I just closed my eyes and jumped in with both feet.

It was only after a couple months that I realized I didn’t know what the fuc< I was doing. Then I started getting worried because WTF am I gonna do if I can’t make a living???

Keeping a short story, short… I started reading everything I could find on the science and art of marketing, advertising, and even self help motivational rah-rah.

As I applied what I was learning, eventually things started turning around and sales started coming in.

Then, when I started my small home improvement business I got to use what I learned from the MLM, and started getting better at advertising. Especially copywriting.

In the early 2000s my E-commerce business was another great training ground for learning and testing web copy.

So that’s how I got started…

I can’t tell you what to do, Pernell, but if I had to start all over again I think I would still try to sell something on my own, before trying to attract clients.

The PROs are that you get to make all your own mistakes, and learn the most valuable lessons early on. Without the embarrassment of explaining to a new client why you seemingly don’t know what you’re doing.

Unless it’s an internship. But if it’s a paid gig, most clients aren’t too happy to have someone “figure it out” on their dime.

One CON to selling your own products is that you’re working off your own dime. And if you don’t figure it out, you could go hungry.

Another route would be to sell other peoples products on commission, as an affiliate (Affiliate marketing). That way I could start out with minimal investment other than time.

This could be one way to learn how to track and measure promotions, understand target markets, get some hands on experience in real time and even make a few dollars while learning.

After I got some experience under my belt, I might start looking for clients (unless I was having too much fun, and making too much money. Then I’d probably just keep doing what I was doing)

Anyway, that’s probably the route that I would take.

P.S.
One PRO to going after clients first is that you get to learn lead generation. And who knows, you might just get a client?

A CON could be competing against the multitudes of low priced writers on the internet, that seem intent on turning writing into a commodity 😥
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Pernell P

Post by Pernell P »

Thanks, SARubin! Just getting your opinion and perspective on this helped a lot!

I’ve seen arguments for both sides so I’ll keep this all in mind when I decide. Though, I’m leaning towards selling my own products(Or affliate marketing).

Do you mind a follow up question? I wanted to know your opinion on mentors.

I’ve seen successful people insist having a good mentor is essential while others think it’s overhyped.

Btw, home improvement? Awesome niche.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Pernell P wrote: January 19th, 2020, 8:17 pm Thanks, SARubin! Just getting your opinion and perspective on this helped a lot!
Happy to help 🙂

Of course anyone (including me) can tell you what we would do, all day long.
But at the end of the day, you’re the one who has to decide what’s right for you.
Pernell P wrote: January 19th, 2020, 8:17 pmDo you mind a follow up question? I wanted to know your opinion on mentors.

I’ve seen successful people insist having a good mentor is essential while others think it’s overhyped.
Yeah, Pernell, that’s another one where you’d need to choose what’s right for you.

If one guy says it’s essential, and another guy says it’s overhyped… They could both be right, based on their own experience. I guess it really depends on who you are, and what you’re looking for in a mentor?

Some people excel with a mentor, and some don’t need it.

I can share a cautionary tale with you, based on my own experience…

Many years ago (about 15 or so) I paid a lot of money, to someone who promised to mentor me. His sales pitch was “Get Mentored By A Millionaire”.

As it turned out, it was one of those cases where his sales pitch was better than his service.

I learned a few things from this guy but not nearly as much as I paid him for. And when I had a specific question he was suddenly too busy to reply to my inquiry.

I eventually discovered that he was on Dan Kennedy’s mailing list, and he was only passing down the same mentorship advice that he was learning the previous month. (so apparently me and his other mentees were paying for his membership. And he was charging us full price for table scraps).

So be wary of who you choose as a mentor. And if they can’t answer your questions to your satisfaction, or if they just keep telling you to pay them more, and you’ll eventually start seeing results… then I’d be suspicious.

On the other hand, I also believe there are some very good mentors out there (I've had a few mentors who've helped me exponentially). And if a true sales professional offers to mentor you, then it can be a huge advantage and a powerful shortcut to mastery for you.

A lot of it also comes down to whether or not you two are a good fit for each other. If their teaching style matches your learning style, then it can be a match made in heaven.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends