Starting out with copywriting

We all need to start somewhere. If you have a newbie question, ask it here
Rj25

Starting out with copywriting

Post by Rj25 »

Hi,

I just want to get your advice on the situation below.

I have sent over a short email to multiple businesses , where I am offering to write free web copy, a free sales page or a free sales email , in return for permission to use it in my portfolio.

However,I have had no replies.Not even a yes or no.

I wonder why this is as I’m offering to write for free for them.

How can I improve on this.How can I get someone to say yes!

My aim is just to get a testimonial so that I can move on to paid work.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Starting out with copywriting

Post by SARubin »

Hi RJ, and welcome to the forum.

It’s impossible to say what the problem is, without knowing a bit more about what’s going on.

So let’s start at the beginning…

The first question that needs to be asked is, are you sure you’re emails are making it to peoples inbox?

If they’re getting flagged by spam filters, and ending up in spam folders, then most people will never see them. (and that can certainly hurt the response rates)

For example, if you’re using the word “free” too many times, most spam filters will flag the email as spam.

So deliver-ability is the first thing to check.

You can start by googling – “email spam checker” (without the quotes) and you’ll find a few websites that can tell you if your email looks spammy.

The next question would be (assuming your emails are being delivered to peoples inboxes) are you sure people are opening them? Do you have any tracking capabilities with your email software to measure open rates?

These are just the first basic steps to email marketing. Because if nobody actually opens your emails, then your offer and the copy doesn’t really matter (because nobody will ever see it)

After you take these first couple of steps we can talk about your offer. Because what you think is a “free” offer, is not really “free” to me.

As a business owner, it costs me time and effort to engage with you. And my time is valuable. That means it costs me money just to pay attention to your email, so your free offer needs to be worth the price you’re asking me to pay for it.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Martyn101

Re: Starting out with copywriting

Post by Martyn101 »

Hi RJ. Just saw your listing for help and wanted to know if you had discovered a solution to your problem. I am very new to Copywriting and am taking a close look at how others are working.

Many thanks

Martyn...
Share This With Friends