Finding clents as a B2B Copywriter

We all need to start somewhere. If you have a newbie question, ask it here
copyzoid

Finding clents as a B2B Copywriter

Post by copyzoid »

Hello guys,
I would like to hear any general advice in regards to finding my first clients but for the more experienced B2B writers, what were some of the things you had to overcome when getting your first clients? I do not have a portfolio. However, I have written some whitepapers and sent them to marketing heads for free with no response back [so perhaps they were not the best]. How would you suggest I build a sturdy portfolio? I am also working on my website and I am stumped because I do not know which direction to go or an angle to approach it from. Thank you in advance for your response.
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: Finding clents as a B2B Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

Have you tried finding writing jobs on any of the freelance sites?

You won't get high end clients at first, but it can give you some experience and the start to a portfolio
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Finding clents as a B2B Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

copyzoid wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:24 am Hello guys,
I would like to hear any general advice in regards to finding my first clients but for the more experienced B2B writers, what were some of the things you had to overcome when getting your first clients?
Hello Ben,

One of my biggest challenges was getting over the fear and disappointment of rejection.

Even though I got into copywriting by selling my own products, so I already had some experience, working with clients was a totally different experience.

I quickly realized one simple truth...When first starting out, and you contact potential clients, most of them will ignore you.

So you need to be persistent and keep trying. And you need to make adjustments to your marketing based on the feedback you're getting from the results.

In direct response advertising and copywriting anything close to 10% response rates is considered great. Sometimes we get more, most times we get less. That means on average more than 9 out of 10 people will NOT respond to your message
  • On a side note: You also need to ignore all the hyped up bullshit from so called gurus claiming consistent response rates of 30% - 50% or more ... Most of them are full of crap, and the few who are telling the truth are only talking about opt in rates or click rates... NOT about actual sales conversion.

It's not much different from what you're doing right now. You're current job is marketing your own services, trying to sell your product (your writing services) to potential clients.

The main difference is the product is you so it's hard to separate your ego from the product... This can make rejection hit closer to home, and feel more personal.

But we need to separate that rejection from our own self worth. They're not rejecting us, they're just not interested in our offer at the moment.

Persistence means "keep going" - If you market yourself to the same prospects multiple times, some of them will be annoyed, and they may even reply to you with annoyance. We can learn from their response as part of our feedback loop, and try to make adjustments to our pitch. But for the most part we're not concerned with these people - remember to separate your ego from the sale and just scratch those prospects off your list.

Others may see your persistence as a sign of ambition and tenacity, and may want someone like you on their team.

Sometimes it's just a matter of good timing. This week they don't need your services... Next week they might. And when you're at "Top of Mind" awareness, because you've been in constant contact, you're more likely to get the job over someone who only sent them one offer 3 months ago and then disappeared.

So how do we increase the odds of getting a positive response to your marketing efforts?

The best advice I can give you right now (and this is without knowing anything about you or your situation) is learn to study your market.

A lot of new writers think copywriting is about knowing how to write. But it's really about knowing "what" to write.

And what to write comes from understanding what your market wants. Then we can tie our offer into the story they're already telling themselves about the problems or desires.

In B2B most of your prospects (probably all of them) are concerned with making more money. But the "reason why" they want more money can be a more powerful motivator than the money itself.

And whatever frustrations they have (lack of customers, lack of good employees, not enough time in the day, etc.) is the problem you can help solve.

But first you need to know what those problems or desires are, and what language they use to describe those problems and desires. Then you can weave those words into your copy when you contact them. This way people are more likely to believe you understand them and what they're going through.

copyzoid wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:24 amI have written some whitepapers and sent them to marketing heads for free with no response back [so perhaps they were not the best].
Many of these folks are bombarded with solicitations daily. As a habit they've learned to tune it all out and ignore it without much thought.

If you want to stand out from the crowd and get noticed, you need to make it all about what they want, and how you can help them get it.

How do you know what the most powerful motivator is for them?

I repeat... Learn to study your market. (AKA - market research)

copyzoid wrote: April 28th, 2021, 12:24 amHow would you suggest I build a sturdy portfolio? I am also working on my website and I am stumped because I do not know which direction to go or an angle to approach it from. Thank you in advance for your response.
Here's a post from another member with a similar question

Selling yourself as a beginner and building a portfolio

It might provide some insight for you...

Best of luck to you

Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends