Questionmarks and starry eyes

We all need to start somewhere. If you have a newbie question, ask it here
Atsali

Questionmarks and starry eyes

Post by Atsali »

Hi all.

So I'm looking to get into copywriting but as I'm unfamiliar with the territory besides the few jobs I've had so far, I'm rather clueless.

How do I preppare?

How do I begin?

What are some realistic expectations?

Of course many variants on these questions have been asked here before and I have been reading. A good trajectory to prepare would be to copy some copy, preferably by hand. When I've done that a few times, see if I can find something that I can try to improve upon (though I'm sure I'd have to find a pretty bad website before I can improve upon it). A course could also be useful and I've been googling. All the courses on offer are quite good at selling themselves (as copywriters ought to be) but I have some questions:
I want to start with writing for websites. So far I've done B2C, but I don't really mind trying B2B either. Does that change the copywriting course I should look for?
How can I recognise a quality course myself? Do you know of any?
What's a good price for a course? I've seen adds for a free course on copywriting, but nothing is ever actually free.

By the way, when I start copying copy, does it matter what kind? Should I only copy from website materials?

other ways I can actually learn proper copywriting and the process around it?

Another thing I need to do to prepare is get my portfolio and website in order. I'll ask for details about that when I get to it, but for now, I will simply start saving my work from my current job. That being said, if anyone here has a good example of a portolio and wants to share it, I'd be rather grateful.

Then there's the website. Fortunately my wife knows something about building a website. That reminds me; are copywriters also expected to do the website design?

When all that is ready; It's time to hunt for website copy that I feel I can improve upon. Contact them with some examples and some information about how I work, then hope they bite. I did see people mention email software where I can check whether the mails were opened and checking spam guidelines so my mails don't end up in the spam folder.

Are there any other ways to get the ball rolling on copy writing?

What is realistic to expect in terms of how quickly I will start getting some clients? How many copywriters can do their job full time? How many hours does the average job take?

Lots of questions, I know. I'm trying to learn a lot in a short timespan. Any help is very much appreciated.
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: Questionmarks and starry eyes

Post by Franklin »

Whoa tiger, slow down a bit. You're asking a lot of questions for one post.

I'll try to answer one or two for you.
Atsali wrote: March 13th, 2022, 12:53 pm
By the way, when I start copying copy, does it matter what kind? Should I only copy from website materials?
My best advice is to start with either copy you know worked, like a control piece, so you can learn proper structure.
Or start with copy from the niche you're going into so you can develop a feel for the type of copy you'll be writing.

Atsali wrote: March 13th, 2022, 12:53 pm Then there's the website. Fortunately my wife knows something about building a website. That reminds me; are copywriters also expected to do the website design?
Web design is a separate skill all by itself. As a copywriter it will only benefit to have design skills, but being able to work with a designer as a team is usually better. That way you can focus on writing the copy.

Maybe you and your wife could partner up and up-sell your clients on the full package, copy and design, and keep the profits in the family?

Atsali wrote: March 13th, 2022, 12:53 pm Are there any other ways to get the ball rolling on copy writing?
The best way to start the ball rolling is to just start the ball rolling. An object in motion accelerates faster than one standing still.

Start by writing some copy for a product or service. Then get it in front of people and see if it works?
Learn from the results and try again.

HTH
-F
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Share This With Friends