Trouble With Parameters!

We all need to start somewhere. If you have a newbie question, ask it here
MissScribbles

Trouble With Parameters!

Post by MissScribbles »

Hello! My name is Ivy, and I'm pretty new to the copyediting field. :)/ I've been sent a manuscript to review and proofread, but I have a problem! In the EDF the parameters are listed but not as usual. They are written in some kind of short-hand I am having trouble deciphering. I've tried looking these numbers up on google, but no luck. I am feeling very lost. :oops: The parameters for the text I am editing are listed below.. Could someone help out a newbie and let me know what they mean? The only lead I have is 1/1 means black and white text.

1000 TEXT 1 60#
1105 TEXT 148 1/1
1106 TEXT 2 1/1 P

If anyone has any tips or ideas, let me know! Thank you! <3
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Trouble With Parameters!

Post by SARubin »

Hello Ivy,

Welcome to the copywriters forum.

Unfortunately, manuscript proofreading is not my forte and I can only offer you generic advice for your situation :?

I just spent 20 minutes Googling the query (thinking different keywords searches might yield different results than what you found) but to no avail. I found a ton of proofreading symbols and guides, but nothing that looks like the parameters you have here.

I think you're right, this might be some type of insider shorthand the client just assumes everyone else should understand?

My best advice is to contact the client and ask for clarification.

Explain to them that you collaborated with an associate (which asking here, and having me respond, makes the statement true :) ) and neither of us are 100% certain about the parameters.
And because they deserve only the very best service, you want to clarify so there are no misunderstandings about the scope of the work.

I wish I could be more help to you Ivy, but this one is outside my wheelhouse. Maybe someone else will stop by here, who understands the secret alphabet of this client, and they might be able to help you better?

Best of luck to you.
- Steve
MissScribbles wrote: October 15th, 2022, 9:09 pm Hello! My name is Ivy, and I'm pretty new to the copyediting field. :)/ I've been sent a manuscript to review and proofread, but I have a problem! In the EDF the parameters are listed but not as usual. They are written in some kind of short-hand I am having trouble deciphering. I've tried looking these numbers up on google, but no luck. I am feeling very lost. :oops: The parameters for the text I am editing are listed below.. Could someone help out a newbie and let me know what they mean? The only lead I have is 1/1 means black and white text.

1000 TEXT 1 60#
1105 TEXT 148 1/1
1106 TEXT 2 1/1 P

If anyone has any tips or ideas, let me know! Thank you! <3
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends