Niche Selection

We all need to start somewhere. If you have a newbie question, ask it here
Relu Iulian

Niche Selection

Post by Relu Iulian »

Hey people! I have a question about niche selection.
I mean, there are many, of course, but as in selecting only one, like Social Media for example, it would mean that I have to limit myself only to social media copy?

At the moment I am taking a course, because I have no experience. Alan Sharpe’s course, if someone took it too, how did it help you?

You think I could find a mentor here on this forum?

I know. Many questions :D but there s no reason to open many topics.

Thank you for the response!
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: Niche Selection

Post by Franklin »

Relu Iulian wrote: April 17th, 2023, 5:18 pm Hey people! I have a question about niche selection.
I mean, there are many, of course, but as in selecting only one, like Social Media for example, it would mean that I have to limit myself only to social media copy?
You do not have to limit yourself to only one niche, there are no absolute rules about this, but it's a good idea to start with only one niche before spreading yourself too thin.

When you focus on one niche at a time it's easier to get good at it, then you can take that experience and it will be easier to expand to another niche.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Relu Iulian

Post by Relu Iulian »

Franklin wrote: April 17th, 2023, 6:07 pm
Relu Iulian wrote: April 17th, 2023, 5:18 pm Hey people! I have a question about niche selection.
You do not have to limit yourself to only one niche, there are no absolute rules about this, but it's a good idea to start with only one niche before spreading yourself too thin.

When you focus on one niche at a time it's easier to get good at it, then you can take that experience and it will be easier to expand to another niche.
Thank you for the response! Would you like to rate my profile on UpWork? I sent some proposals and it seems that it’s not working and I was wondering maybe is something wrong with my profile. Thank you!
upwork.com/freelancers/~01a0c6bcbfb59ff843
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Relu Iulian wrote: April 18th, 2023, 6:17 am
Thank you for the response! Would you like to rate my profile on UpWork? I sent some proposals and it seems that it’s not working and I was wondering maybe is something wrong with my profile. Thank you!
Hi Relu,
I don't know much about upwork because I've never used the platform. Also, I don't know what type of jobs you're bidding on, or what else you've done to attract clients.

So I am only looking at your profile copy from a business owners point of view, and I have a suggestion or two...

First, let me say I understand that you are just starting out and you don't have much confidence yet, so I will try not to be too harsh, but I will be honest with you...

The main thing I would emphasize, Relu, is that copywriting is about sales. And with your profile you are selling yourself.

Your profile is your advertisement for your own personal service brand, and like any advertisement we need to give clients a reason to buy what you're selling.

Showing people your personality is good, but we also want to spend more time focusing on the benefits we can provide for the client.

That said... The first thing that strikes me is your profile copy does not show much confidence. So as a business owner looking for a copywriter, it does not give me much confidence in your abilities.

Let's break down a couple pieces of it to show you what I mean...

Bold = your profile on upwork -

👉 I am a Junior Copywriter, looking to learn more about this skill, to develop it more, and in my opinion, the best way to get better at something is by actually doing it, doing mistakes and learn from them.

This is a good philosophy to keep to yourself, or share in a chat support group.
But from a business owners point of view it looks like you want me to pay you so you can make mistakes with my business while you learn how to do your job.

Can you see how this might not be very appealing to a business owner ?

This next part is not bad, but let's see if we can make it a little better...

👉 I am learning daily about business development, management and entrepreneurship, crypto and Real Estate,

This is fine but it sounds like you have no experience. Let's change that sentence around a little bit to sound more confident.

Something like...

I have knowledge in business development, management and entrepreneurship, crypto and Real Estate, and I am constantly learning more every day.

It's a simple re-frame that changes the perception from "zero experience" to at least "some experience".
As long as you're not claiming to be an expert, saying you have some knowledge is not lying. You've learned some things, which means you have more knowledge than someone who knows nothing.

And then there's this...

👉 I know, I don't have experience, I understand that and I am not ashamed of it, I am a very fast learner, I can work with anything, very flexible, and get to understand how things work very easily, deal with stress and make good decisions .

Personally, I would recommend just deleting this part altogether because it really doesn't advance the sale at all.

This feels like you want me to pay you for on the job training. Which is fine if you're applying for a job as an employee.

But you're not an employee, you're a small business owner. You're the CEO of your own copywriting service company. It's a paradigm shift and it makes a big difference in how you see yourself, and how others see you.

Again, The main thing I would emphasize here Relu, is that copywriting is about selling. And with your profile you are selling yourself.

You need to step out of your own shoes and step into the shoes of your client.

What do you think business owners want from a copywriter?

A couple of the most common answers are...
  • More engagement from their audience
  • Better branding and recognition from their market
  • More sales and revenue for their business
Show them how you can provide these things and business owners will be more likely to pay attention to you.

You can still be honest about being a beginner (tell them that's why your prices are temporarily low, because you need to build your portfolio of happy clients).

But overall you should talk more about what you're going to do for them and their business.
Because that's what they care about the most.

Anyway, that was my first thought when I read your upwork profile page.

Just something to consider. Hope it helps.

All the best,
Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Relu Iulian

Post by Relu Iulian »

SARubin wrote: April 19th, 2023, 9:51 pm
Relu Iulian wrote: April 18th, 2023, 6:17 am
Hi Relu,
I don't know much about upwork because I've never used the platform. Also, I don't know what type of jobs you're bidding on, or what else you've done to attract clients.

So I am only looking at your profile copy from a business owners point of view, and I have a suggestion or two...

First, let me say I understand that you are just starting out and you don't have much confidence yet, so I will try not to be too harsh, but I will be honest with you...

The main thing I would emphasize, Relu, is that copywriting is about sales. And with your profile you are selling yourself.

Your profile is your advertisement for your own personal service brand, and like any advertisement we need to give clients a reason to buy what you're selling.

Showing people your personality is good, but we also want to spend more time focusing on the benefits we can provide for the client.

That said... The first thing that strikes me is your profile copy does not show much confidence. So as a business owner looking for a copywriter, it does not give me much confidence in your abilities.

Let's break down a couple pieces of it to show you what I mean...

Bold = your profile on upwork -

👉 I am a Junior Copywriter, looking to learn more about this skill, to develop it more, and in my opinion, the best way to get better at something is by actually doing it, doing mistakes and learn from them.

This is a good philosophy to keep to yourself, or share in a chat support group.
But from a business owners point of view it looks like you want me to pay you so you can make mistakes with my business while you learn how to do your job.

Can you see how this might not be very appealing to a business owner ?

This next part is not bad, but let's see if we can make it a little better...

👉 I am learning daily about business development, management and entrepreneurship, crypto and Real Estate,

This is fine but it sounds like you have no experience. Let's change that sentence around a little bit to sound more confident.

Something like...

I have knowledge in business development, management and entrepreneurship, crypto and Real Estate, and I am constantly learning more every day.

It's a simple re-frame that changes the perception from "zero experience" to at least "some experience".
As long as you're not claiming to be an expert, saying you have some knowledge is not lying. You've learned some things, which means you have more knowledge than someone who knows nothing.

And then there's this...

👉 I know, I don't have experience, I understand that and I am not ashamed of it, I am a very fast learner, I can work with anything, very flexible, and get to understand how things work very easily, deal with stress and make good decisions .

This feels like you want me to pay you for on the job training. Which is fine if you're applying for a job as an employee.

But you're not an employee, you're a small business owner. You're the CEO of your own copywriting service company. It's a paradigm shift and it makes a big difference in how you see yourself, and how others see you.

Personally, I would recommend just deleting this part altogether because it really doesn't advance the sale at all.

Again, The main thing I would emphasize here Relu, is that copywriting is about selling. And with your profile you are selling yourself.

You need to step out of your own shoes and step into the shoes of your client.

What do you think business owners want from a copywriter?

A couple of the most common answers are...
  • More engagement from their audience
  • Better branding and recognition from their market
  • More sales and revenue for their business
Show them how you can provide these things and business owners will be more likely to pay attention to you.

You can still be honest about being a beginner (tell them that's why your prices are temporarily low, because you need to build your portfolio of happy clients).

But overall you should talk more about what you're going to do for them and their business.
Because that's what they care about the most.

Anyway, that was my first thought when I read your upwork profile page.

Just something to consider. Hope it helps.

All the best,
Steve
Wow! It feels so good to have some clarity.
You can be harsh with it, no worries, I’m here to learn not to be treated like a princess. I know that mistakes will be made so I’m ready to face them.

Thank you very much for the help.
jamulim

Post by jamulim »

If you choose a niche like social media, it doesn't mean you have to limit yourself to only writing social media posts.

You can write blog posts, articles, eBooks, and other types of content too. You can even expand your niche to related topics like content marketing or digital branding.

The most important thing is to pick a niche that you're passionate about, so you can create great content consistently. When you do this, you'll become an expert in your niche and attract clients who are interested in your unique skills.
Relu Iulian

Post by Relu Iulian »

jamulim wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 12:49 pm If you choose a niche like social media, it doesn't mean you have to limit yourself to only writing social media posts.

You can write blog posts, articles, eBooks, and other types of content too. You can even expand your niche to related topics like content marketing or digital branding.

The most important thing is to pick a niche that you're passionate about, so you can create great content consistently. When you do this, you'll become an expert in your niche and attract clients who are interested in your unique skills.
Thank you!

Usually I like many things. Yesterday I've been thinking that this skill could give me the opportunity to be close with the things I'm passionate about.

I'm changing my mind about things and I like many things at once, and this skill can give me the freedom to change, today I like this, I can write about it, tomorrow something else ( it's not really like this but you get my point).

At the moment I'm writing about River Cruise Ships and man.. I'm falling for it myself. I get so passionate about it while I make the research and put in the effort, the more I find out, the more fascinating it is.
Share This With Friends