Website-building tips and SEO

Landing pages, Opt-in pages, Sales pages, etc. If it's written to get visitors to take action, and it's on a website, then this is the place to talk about it
TheCopyCat

Website-building tips and SEO

Post by TheCopyCat »

Hello again,

I'm sorry for my long absence, this time of year is the busiest time for my day job, so I've had no energy in my time off to give much attention to anything else, unfortunately. Hopefully, the load should drop back to normal levels in the next few weeks; then I'll be able to resuscitate my copywriting fever. But I was wondering if I might ask for your advice and opinions again?

I've set myself up a website via Wordpress, though it's still a work-in-progress. I haven't had any incoming messages from clients yet, but as I still have work to do on it, I don't mind that just now - it needs some good, robust Terms and Conditions, and all the other legal things, but I'm looking into that.

I was wondering if I might ask for more general advice about SEO content and getting noticed (when I'm ready to be noticed). Would it be terribly bad form, or against forum rules if I posted a link here and asked anyone who cared to read to give it a once-over?
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Website-building tips and SEO

Post by SARubin »

Hey CopyCat,
Welcome back. I thought you'd forgotten all about us. (it was beginning to trigger some deep seated abandonment issues for me)... Just kidding :)

I'm glad to see you're still interested in copywriting, and I'd be happy to take a look at your website. I'm not an SEO expert by trade, but I know enough about SEO to hold up my end of a conversation. (I managed to get this website to the front page of google for a number of keywords)

And I'm sure there's a few others here who'd also be happy to take a look and help you out.

Generally speaking, we don't allow self promotional links in posts. And that rule exists to help us prevent spam on the forums.
On the other hand, we do want to help writers by providing plenty of promotional opportunities for you and your writing services

So let's see if we can help each other out a little, OK?

First, you can go into your "user control panel" and fill in a bit of your profile info.

Click on the "profile" tab and there's a place to fill in a few details about yourself.

You can add your website URL and some other info if you choose, including a short BIO where you can tell everyone about yourself and your writing.

Next, (and this is where you can help me out a little) you can place your listing in our copywriters directory here - Copywriters Directory

I created it a few months ago and it could use a bit of activity.

This is the only place on our forums where you're encouraged to actively promote yourself. In fact, the copywriters directory is all about promoting yourself.

Think of it as an advertisement for your writing services, which is one of the first copywriting jobs many writers ever have (selling our writing services to potential clients)

Create a new topic and remember to include your contact info (personal website link, social profile, or whatever contact info you want) I don't recommend putting your best email address in there unless you want to open yourself up to spam emails from any bots that visit the site... But it's your call.

Anyway, CopyCat, go do those two things (set up your profile and create a directory listing) and let us know when your done. Then we can take it from there.

If you have any problems getting set up just let me know and I'll get it sorted out for you.

All the best,
Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
TheCopyCat

Post by TheCopyCat »

Well that's fair enough, a little of the old quid pro quo!

It's taken me longer than expected as some idiot in the next village crashed their car into an internet junction box and wiped out the connection for three villages. But it's sorted now lucky, and I've managed to do as you asked.

Please let me know what you think :)
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

TheCopyCat wrote: April 18th, 2021, 10:55 am Well that's fair enough, a little of the old quid pro quo!
Hey Chris,
Thanks for the quid quo, you copywriting pro (Sorry, I know you like dreadful puns. But that was the best I could do on short notice 8-) )

I just checked out your site and I like your style. It has a certain "je ne sais quoi" to it.

But as far as SEO... I feel you may have a difficult time ranking your site for anything at the moment.

Mostly because there's only 4 pages on it (Home, About, Our Services, and Contact) and most search engines won't even know what search terms to index those pages for?

Again, I'm not an SEO expert. But from what I do know about google they like relevant, authoritative content for any particular search term.
They don't always get it right but that's what they strive for. Because when google is more useful to its users... more people use it for more searches... and google can sell more advertising space at a higher price, based on the number of people using their search engine.

Since you're on a wordpress site I would strongly recommend setting up a blog section where you can add a lot more content. This way the search bots can begin to understand what your site is about.

With blog posts we want to decide what keyword (or search term) we're trying to rank for. Then build some content specifically around that particular keyword.

So if you're trying to rank for "Copywriters in the UK", a well written informative article talking about copywriters in the UK has a better chance of ranking for the term. People find your article in the search engine, click on the link for the article, and end up at your site.

Depending on how much competition there is for the keyword your site might move up relatively quickly.

Here's a pretty decent article I found from some guys who seem to know more about SEO than myself. I think it's worth a read for you...

https://moz.com/blog/seo-tips-index-rank-content-faster

In the mean time, while you're waiting for some of your content to rank, I strongly recommend finding other ways of driving traffic to your site. (whenever you're ready for traffic)

You can start by posting useful stuff on related social platforms.
Platforms that allow links in your profile or within certain areas of the site would be the first place to start.

Like what you did here on this site. Google currently crawls this site at least once a week because they know content is being added almost every day. And eventually they'll find your link and follow it back to your site.

Also, because this site is on the first page of google for a number of copywriting related searches, your link is more valuable here than if it was on a non related site. (like a site that sells T-shirts for example).

So your link on this site, and other related sites, might not get you to page 1 of the search engines, but it can only help.
And more importantly, anyone who sees your link here might visit your site as a result.

Anyway, I hope this helps get you started. And maybe someone else here can offer a bit more insight for you about writing SEO optimized content.

TheCopyCat wrote: April 18th, 2021, 10:55 amIt's taken me longer than expected as some idiot in the next village crashed their car into an internet junction box and wiped out the connection for three villages. But it's sorted now lucky, and I've managed to do as you asked.
That's almost funny, in a sad kind of way. I guess it shows us just how fragile our modern technology (and our society) really is.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

TheCopyCat wrote: March 28th, 2021, 3:32 pm I was wondering if I might ask for more general advice about SEO content

Hi Copycat,
Here's a few tips I use to write keyword optimized content for SEO

1 - Your main keyword should be at the beginning, in the first sentence if possible.

For copywriter in UK you could start your post with "If you're looking for a copywriter in the UK then this post is for you".
Repeat the keyphrase multiple times throughout your article, but make it look natural.

DON'T SAY "If you're looking for a copywriter in the UK then this post is for you because it's about copywriters in the UK so you can find a copywriter in the UK"

That is keyword stuffing and Google sees it as spam, and you'll end up on page 1000 if you're lucky.

Use variations of the keyphrase like - copywriter in the UK - United Kingdom copywriter - copywritng written by a native English speaker - etc. throughout the article.

I usually try to end the article with the keyword too.

Always make sure it reads naturally because Google's algorithm is getting better at understanding context.

2 - Google likes links that point to other similar content.

If you have two articles that relate to each other try to naturally weave a link into your article pointing to the other one.

3 - Use meta tags

H1 for headlines. H2 for subheadlines. Description tags with keywords. alt tags for images.

Google doesn't use these to rank as much as they used to but it still helps with other search engines, and I think Google still uses them a little to rank.

4 - Submit a sitemap to Google

A sitemap makes it easier for Google to index your pages. It doesn't mean they will index your website immediately, but when you submit a sitemap they will find it faster than if you wait for them to stumble upon it.

5 - Get external links pointing to your page

Tell people about your post on social media and post a link wherever it's allowed.

More links pointing to your page from different sources tells the search engines your site is more popular so they are more likely to move it up in the rankings

Post your links on writing related websites and Google will associate your site with writing. Non related sites can look like link spamming and will get ignored by Google.

There's few tips you can use to help write keyword optimized content for SEO

HTH
-Franklin
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
TheCopyCat

Post by TheCopyCat »

Thank you both, Steve and Franklin, those are some really great ideas. I'll definitely try to take your advice on board and make a few SEO adjustments to my site in the next few days :)
MaxRowe

Post by MaxRowe »

I'm happy for you! Let us know when you have a first client
DrayWalkin

Post by DrayWalkin »

It's great that you're setting up a website using Wordpress and working on making it professional. In terms of SEO and getting noticed, there're some tips helping you to improve your website's visibility and search rankings. First, use keywords in your page titles, descriptions, and on-page content. Second, build backlinks to your website. I use the service of seo-comapny posting backlinks on the internet, which helps increase the authority and trust of my website and make it show up higher in search results. If you're interested to get more info let me know, as I've been in this sphere for years
mudasir5454

Post by mudasir5454 »

Thank you for such a well written article. It’s full of insightful information and entertaining descriptions. Your point of view is the best among many. [link removed by moderator]
sarah3539

Post by sarah3539 »

TheCopyCat wrote: March 28th, 2021, 3:32 pm Hello again,

I'm sorry for my long absence, this time of year is the busiest time for my day job, so I've had no energy in my time off to give much attention to anything else, unfortunately. Hopefully, the load should drop back to normal levels in the next few weeks; then I'll be able to resuscitate my copywriting fever. But I was wondering if I might ask for your advice and opinions again?

I've set myself up a website via Wordpress, though it's still a work-in-progress. I haven't had any incoming messages from clients yet, but as I still have work to do on it, I don't mind that just now - it needs some good, robust Terms and Conditions, and all the other legal things, but I'm looking into that.

I was wondering if I might ask for more general advice about SEO content and getting noticed (when I'm ready to be noticed). Would it be terribly bad form, or against forum rules if I posted a link here and asked anyone who cared to read to give it a once-over?

I am also thinking about hiring a marketing agency from Adelaide since that's one of my target places too so this digital agency from this link is number 1 in my list koadigital.com.au get more info.
Welcome back! It's completely understandable that your day job has kept you busy. Don't worry, we're all here to help and support each other.

In regards to your website, it's great that you're taking steps to ensure it's legally sound with good Terms and Conditions. As for SEO content and getting noticed, there are several things you can do to improve your website's visibility, such as optimizing your content with relevant keywords, regularly creating fresh and engaging content, and building high-quality backlinks.

As for posting a link to your website for feedback, I don't see any issues with it as long as it's relevant to the discussion and not just self-promotion. It might be helpful to specify what kind of feedback you're looking for so people can give you more specific advice.

Best of luck with your copywriting endeavors!
Share This With Friends