WRITING FOR SEO VS WRITING FOR HUMANS

Landing pages, Opt-in pages, Sales pages, etc. If it's written to get visitors to take action, and it's on a website, then this is the place to talk about it
Franklin
Copywriter

WRITING FOR SEO VS WRITING FOR HUMANS

Post by Franklin »

As a commercial copywriter, I believe that writing web copy is more than just about search engine optimization. SEO is very important, but the craft of writing for humans is the bottom line.

As I look around the web, I see so many web sites writing for Google and stuffing keywords, or using variations of keywords to get good SEO listing; Personally I am appalled at the loss of quality, and I think it’s because of the focus on SEO rather than writing well.

Writing copy is about the art of conversation and engaging the reader, and selling with the written word.

Using authentic words to characterize and advertise a client’s product is more important than worrying about placement in search engines. What do you think? Am I way off track with this?
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: WRITING FOR SEO VS WRITING FOR HUMANS

Post by SARubin »

I emphatically agree with you, Franklin.

Although, I suppose it depends on the intent of the website owner. If their idea is to simply prove they can rank high in the SERPs (so maybe they can sell their SEO services to other, unsuspecting website owners?) then I guess ranking “is” the mission.

But for any other purpose, writing solely for SEO just doesn’t make any sense.

SEO writing is not inherently wrong. It only becomes wrong (or stupid?) when people write pages ONLY for search engines, without regard for one obvious fact… Search engines don’t buy anything. And a boring, or confusing keyword stuffed article won’t build trust, interest, or credibility with your visitors.

It seems many SEO fanatics never ask themselves a simple math question…

Would you rather have a page 1 listing, with 1000 visitors a day, and a 0% conversion rate? – or – A page 2 listing, with only 100 visitors a day, and a 10% conversion rate?

(Hint: 10 sales is more than zero 😉 )

So absolutely, spread some keywords throughout your copy, and optimize it so the search engines know how to index it, but always write for your human visitors.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

I just want to add my two cents to this topic 😀

I think it’s possible to do both. Write artfully and write for the search engines.
If you know how to write “into” your keywords, combining the two becomes very doable.
Plus, a lot of times writing towards certain keywords gets me to think up unique ways of getting the message across, and it makes less exciting tasks more enjoyable for me. Readers always come first, and search engines come second, but they don’t need to be mutually exclusive.

-Rhonda
ErnieRomero

Post by ErnieRomero »

Writing for readers is good but search engines must find us or who will see it?
copyclem

Post by copyclem »

SARubin wrote: January 31st, 2019, 10:25 am ... Would you rather have a page 1 listing, with 1000 visitors a day, and a 0% conversion rate? – or – A page 2 listing, with only 100 visitors a day, and a 10% conversion rate?...

Based on your message, how do you typically communicate this to your clients?

Do you downplay it that SEO can be overrated sometimes and show stats and numbers that conversion is the true king?

Thanks.Clem.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Hey Clem,

Since you're just starting out... In the beginning I find it's better to give the client what they want so they learn to trust your expertise.

If they only want an SEO optimized article that ranks in the SERPs, then I recommend doing your best to give them what they want. This way they know you can deliver, and they know you're a team player.

After you show them your abilities, or once you already have a reputation for solid work, they'll be far more likely to listen to your suggestions.

At that point yes, explain the difference, and the balance, between SEO and conversions.
Then ask them which one they want to prioritize.

First sell them what they want. Once they trust you, then you can sell them what they need.
copyclem wrote: January 8th, 2022, 8:12 am
... Would you rather have a page 1 listing, with 1000 visitors a day, and a 0% conversion rate? – or – A page 2 listing, with only 100 visitors a day, and a 10% conversion rate?...

Do you downplay it that SEO can be overrated sometimes and show stats and numbers that conversion is the true king?

Thanks.Clem.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

copyclem wrote: January 8th, 2022, 8:12 am
SARubin wrote: January 31st, 2019, 10:25 am ... Would you rather have a page 1 listing, with 1000 visitors a day, and a 0% conversion rate? – or – A page 2 listing, with only 100 visitors a day, and a 10% conversion rate?...

Thanks.Clem.
I don't know if you can show stats and numbers that conversion is the true king, because the question becomes king of what?

If the clients biggest concern is getting eyeballs on his page, because he has another purpose or another way of counting conversions, then SEO is the king.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
MKC

Post by MKC »

ErnieRomero wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 2:27 pm Writing for readers is good but search engines must find us or who will see it?
Paid traffic maybe?
Share This With Friends