Which headline is better?

Landing pages, Opt-in pages, Sales pages, etc. If it's written to get visitors to take action, and it's on a website, then this is the place to talk about it
WordyWordpecker
Writer

Which headline is better?

Post by WordyWordpecker »

Hey copywriters! I’m writing some copy for a dating website and could use a little help choosing the best headline for the sign up page.

Which headline do you guys think is best?

1. Our proprietary software will find the perfect mate for you. Join Now!

2. Join now and find your perfect match using our proprietary software

3. Sign up today and find your soulmate with our proprietary software

Thanks in advance for your help
LuanaSpinetti

Re: Which headline is better?

Post by LuanaSpinetti »

Depending on the scopes of the dating site, I think the third headline would works best for the emotional hook: “find your soulmate” speaks of a longer-term view of love than “find your perfect match”, since the latter could work even for a short-term relationship.

Just my two cents. 🙂
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

WordyWordpecker wrote: October 10th, 2019, 11:21 am Hey copywriters! I’m writing some copy for a dating website and could use a little help choosing the best headline for the sign up page.

Which headline do you guys think is best?

1. Our proprietary software will find the perfect mate for you. Join Now!

2. Join now and find your perfect match using our proprietary software

3. Sign up today and find your soulmate with our proprietary software

Thanks in advance for your help
Well, as I’m sure you already know, when it comes to headlines there’s more to it than just the words. There’s also context. And of course it also depends on your target audience, and what brought them to your page in the first place.

But just based on what you’re asking here I’m assuming this is for a basic opt-in page? And not a full sales page?

If it’s for a sales page then none of these make a great headline, because they’re more like “calls to action” rather than attention grabbing headlines. If it’s for an opt-in page where there’s minimal text and a simple signup form, then they’re OK.

As far as which one I like better…?

I don’t care much for number 1 “Our proprietary software will find the perfect mate for you. Join Now!” for one main reason…

For starters it begins by talking about your software, and puts the benefit as an afterthought.
A better approach is to make it “benefit first” instead of product first.

i.e. – Find your perfect mate using our proprietary software

Your version put your product first, and mine puts the customer first. It’s a subtle difference that can have a huge impact (unless you’re selling to yourself, always put the customer first whenever possible. Because that’s what they care about the most)

Between #2 and #3… I like number 2 because it says “join now” which looks like they’re joining a group, or a community. “Sign up” feels more like a legal obligation.

When it comes to connecting with other people, outside of a business environment, most people prefer the warm feeling of joining a group, rather than the cold feeling of signing up.

And I like #3 for the reason Luana gave about “soulmate” being a deeper level than “match”.

Maybe you could combine 2 and 3 and make it “join now to find your soulmate”?

Of course, the only way to know for sure is to split test them all, and see which one gets the best response.
And when your results come in, I hope you’ll come back here and let us know which one worked the best? (Always interested in seeing case studies about what worked, and what didn’t)

Best of luck to you…
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
WordyWordpecker
Writer

Post by WordyWordpecker »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

I like the soulmate angle too
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

I’d go with #3

And like Steve said, change “sign up” to join now.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Share This With Friends