How to create email subject line to get high open rates

All things related to email marketing (mostly copywriting, but other stuff too)
Jasper

How to create email subject line to get high open rates

Post by Jasper »

Hi, I was wondering how to write email subject line to increase my open rates. I see a lot of internet marketing gurus talking about 60% or 70% open rates but I am barely getting 20% to 30%.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: How to create email subject line to get high open rates

Post by SARubin »

First thing I recommend, Jasper, is to stop paying so much attention to what all the so called gooroos are claiming (because 95% of them are full of crap, and they’re pulling numbers out of their butts just to sound important)

In this day and age, with all the clutter in our inboxes, 20 to 30% open rates ain’t bad.

Second thing to realize is that open rates are only one part of the equation. You could write a subject line that says “FREE SEX AND ONE MILLION DOLLARS INSIDE” (and assuming you could get past all the spam filters), you’d probably get a 100% open rate.

But if you don’t pay up once they open, then you’ll probably get a 100% opt-out rate.

So just keep all that in mind

As far as what makes for good subject lines…

When I did a lot of email marketing, two of the better performing formulas (if you can call them formulas?) were the “curiosity” subject line, and the “direct benefit” subject line.

Curiosity lines could be as simple as… “is this for real? ” -or- “you won’t believe what I just saw” (or something along those lines). Pretty much anything that makes people curious to know what you’re talking about, can get them to open the message.

Direct benefit lines could be something like “how to get_____ in _____ minutes a day” (for example)

So there’s a couple of ideas to get you started. But just remember what I said above… open rates are only one part of the equation.

Most email marketing is done with a purpose. Are your emails only informational, to establish yourself as a trusted source (so you can sell something in the future)? Or is there a direct call to action in them (like a clickable link)?

What do your other numbers (besides “open rates”) look like?

Also, how did people end up on your list? Are they past customers? Or did they simply opt-in to your list, from your website? All these things could play a factor.

Your original question is a bit vague, but I hope my answer helps give you some food for thought (at least a little bit?)

All the best,
SAR
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Yes thank you. I will try the curiosity subject line.
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

Most important Jasper buddy – Make your email valuable every time. When people are used to getting good stuff from you they will open your email because it came from YOU. Even if your subject line is not great your sender name will get them to open it.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

Franklin wrote: February 8th, 2019, 11:55 pm Most important Jasper buddy – Make your email valuable every time. When people are used to getting good stuff from you they will open your email because it came from YOU. Even if your subject line is not great your sender name will get them to open it.
^^^ Yes, this! ^^^

Your reputation is worth more than the catchiest subject line
Share This With Friends