Why your FREE email opt-in offer, is not really free… (even if you think it is)

All things related to email marketing (mostly copywriting, but other stuff too)
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Why your FREE email opt-in offer, is not really free… (even if you think it is)

Post by SARubin »

I was browsing a couple marketing forums the other day, and a number of threads jumped out at me.

They were all asking similar questions like…“Why aren’t people signing up for my email list? I’m giving away free stuff (a free report, free ebook, free sample, etc.) Doesn’t everybody want free stuff?”

Well, most experienced marketers already know the answer to this question.

But, for anyone (and everyone) who’s asking this type of question, let me answer it for you right now…

NO, You are NOT giving anything away for “free”

For starters, you’re asking people to pay for it with their valuable time, attention, and energy. Then you want them to pay even more, by giving you their personal info. Even if it’s just an email address, it’s still theirs and you want them to give it to you.

So here’s the reality about your “free” offer…

It needs to be worth your asking price.

You see, everything in business is a value exchange.

In most businesses, the ultimate exchange is when I give you money and I get something in return. But every exchange along the way is a value exchange. And it’s no different when it comes to your email campaign.

Here’s a quick breakdown of an average email marketing “value exchange”…
1) I give you a few moments of my time… You give me hope that your offer can make my life happier.

2) I give you my contact info… You give me something of value in exchange (your free download, or free report, for example)

3) You give me more value (in the form of “useful” follow-up emails)… I give you more of my time by reading them (and perhaps I start to give you a bit of my trust)

4) You give me an offer that will make my life happier… I give you my money (assuming you’ve already gained my trust)

Do you see how this works? Every step of the way, there’s a value exchange. And each exchange has the potential to build a stronger relationship.

I hope that all makes sense to you?

Anyway, let me just wrap this up by saying…

If you ever catch yourself asking why nobody is signing up for your “free” mailing list, with your “free” offer; it might just be that your asking price is too high for what you’re giving away.

Try changing your mindset and your focus. And instead ask “How can I give my audience massive value, first?”

Because the truth is…

Your FREE offer is not really free… So you need to make it valuable, and you need to convince me it’s worth the price you’re asking for it.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends