CTR and OR - what is "normal"?

All things related to email marketing (mostly copywriting, but other stuff too)
RobbieN

CTR and OR - what is "normal"?

Post by RobbieN »

Good morning!

I'm trying to figure out why some recent emails that I expected to do well have fallen flat.

The most recent was a tutorial email sent out to our mailing list of music producers.

We had 19% Open Rate and 0.88% CTR

Wondering if this is normal for this type of email?

Any insights appreciated!

Thanks.
Rob.
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: CTR and OR - what is "normal"?

Post by Franklin »

Hi Rob,

To me those numbers seem low.

A 19% open rate could mean your emails are going to spam folders. Are you using a reputable email system that's known for high inboxing rates?
Or it could mean people aren't interested in hearing from you, for any number of reasons, so when they see your email they just ignore it.

How did these folks end up on your list? And have they opened previous emails from you?

A 0.88% CTR usually means your email isn't very compelling, or your copy isn't resonating with your list.

That's just my first thought, but without more details from you, about your offer and your list, I'm only guessing.

RobbieN wrote: August 9th, 2022, 3:29 pm Good morning!

I'm trying to figure out why some recent emails that I expected to do well have fallen flat.

The most recent was a tutorial email sent out to our mailing list of music producers.

We had 19% Open Rate and 0.88% CTR

Wondering if this is normal for this type of email?

Any insights appreciated!

Thanks.
Rob.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: CTR and OR - what is "normal"?

Post by SARubin »

Franklin made some good points. A low open rate could be caused by lots of things.

If you usually get high open rates, and suddenly they dropped off, it might only be a temporary downturn (there's a lot of political and economic turmoil going on in the world right now and many people are distracted by other priorities).
If that's the case open rates should tick back up for you as things begin to level out.

Or you might just need to split test different subject lines to the non-openers. Have you tried re-sending the email to the non-openers, with a different subject line?
After all, marketing is all about knowing our audience and then testing, testing, testing.

On the other hand, if low open rates become habitual then re-read what Franklin said. And you might also need to rethink (and re-research) any assumptions you've made about the people you're marketing to.

As far as the low CTR... This is almost always caused by your copy not resonating with your reader. (either your message, or your CTA, is not compelling them to take action)

It's impossible to offer more exacting insights without knowing more about your market and your message.

If you'd like to post a more detailed question (without giving away any proprietary trade secrets of course) you may get a more detailed response.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends