Cold emailing potential clients

All things related to email marketing (mostly copywriting, but other stuff too)
Harry_Buck

Cold emailing potential clients

Post by Harry_Buck »

Hi!

I was just wondering, I do not have a portfolio made and I want to get low pay or free gigs to start making my portfolio. So when I am sending emails to prospects and cold leads, should I create a short bit of copy related to the specific company to show what I am capable of?

Or should I just say "I will do x for you, contact me if you are interested" type of thing so I can send more emails to more prospects and cold leads?
Somewhat

Re: Cold emailing potential clients

Post by Somewhat »

Harry_Buck wrote: July 18th, 2023, 9:15 am Hi!

I was just wondering, I do not have a portfolio made and I want to get low pay or free gigs to start making my portfolio. So when I am sending emails to prospects and cold leads, should I create a short bit of copy related to the specific company to show what I am capable of?

Or should I just say "I will do x for you, contact me if you are interested" type of thing so I can send more emails to more prospects and cold leads?
You can build a portfolio with samples for the time being. Try to write in the same niche you are prospecting in. As well as make them very good as these are the samples your prospect will look over and check your skills.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Hey Harry_Buck,

Welcome to the forums. Glad you could join us.

Harry_Buck wrote: Hi!

I was just wondering, I do not have a portfolio made and I want to get low pay or free gigs to start making my portfolio.
Personally, I would not recommend offering "low pay or free" as your selling point.

Selling yourself short is not a good habit to start. It has a way of sticking with us and guiding our path in the wrong direction.

As far as building a portfolio, I agree with what Somewhat said... Just start.

Here's a couple threads from a while ago that talk about the very thing you're going through right now.
Check em out when you have a minute...

Finding clients as a B2B Copywriter

Selling yourself as a beginner and building a portfolio

Harry_Buck wrote: So when I am sending emails to prospects and cold leads, should I create a short bit of copy related to the specific company to show what I am capable of?

When it's time for you to start emailing prospects I would go with the more personal approach, and write something related to the company, to show them you care about them.

It will take a little more effort, and it's not a guarantee that customizing something for them will get you a response, but it can only help in building rapport, with someone who's never heard of you before.

And even if they don't respond you can still put the copy in your portfolio (blur out the company name) and you can call it a spec assignment. Which basically means you wrote it for someone but it never got used.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
jamulim

Post by jamulim »

Harry_Buck wrote: July 18th, 2023, 9:15 am Hi!

Hi there! Here are my recommendations for cold emailing prospects to build your portfolio:

•Look for details you can mention to show you understand their business - what products or services they offer, recent news about them, key people in the company, etc. Even a short personalized line goes a long way.

•Offer a specific idea of what you could create for them - a blog post, website pages, etc. Be as concrete as possible to generate interest.

•Briefly highlight your relevant experience and skills to build credibility. Even for an initial portfolio-building project, show you understand the basics of the job.

•Keep the tone friendly, confident and solution-focused. Avoid coming across as desperate for work.

•Follow up professionally if you don't hear back right away. Many prospects are busy, so a gentle reminder can jog their memory.

•Expect a low response rate when cold emailing, so send personalized emails to as many prospects as you can. Volume will help compensate for the low initial success rate.

But be prepared to send many emails as you're getting started! I hope this helps - let me know if you have any other questions.
Azrael

Post by Azrael »

Hi there,

Thanks for these valuable tips on sending cold emails to prospects. Emphasizing personalization and understanding the recipient's business is crucial to standing out. Proposing concrete ideas and highlighting relevant skills are also key strategies for establishing a meaningful connection with prospects.

In addition to your recommendations, it may also be beneficial to discuss the importance of cleaning up your mailing list. This can significantly increase the effectiveness of your cold e-mail campaigns. How do you think regular mailing list management and cleansing could influence response rates and overall prospect engagement? Could this be an effective way of optimizing your prospecting efforts and focusing on the most promising contacts?
Vincent.o

Please someone should clarify

Post by Vincent.o »

I've been exploring Fintech industry lately, and I have this strong feeling that I could really excel in the crypto industry niche. Ever since I was 19, I've been absolutely obsessed with crypto technology.

I was just wondering if this niche is a good choice for me, and if I can make some cool money in this industry. Is it really profitable?

P.s Do the industry has a low hiring rate?
Share This With Friends