Nudge Marketing For Bigger Sales, More Often...

Rants, raves, fun and games. And anything not directly related to copywriting
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Nudge Marketing For Bigger Sales, More Often...

Post by SARubin »

Nudge: To prod gently in order to move someone in a certain direction.

Marketing: Any activity used to promote an idea, product, or service in an attempt to motivate others to buy into whatever we're selling.

I first learned about nudge marketing about 10 years ago when I read the book (abtly titled) "Nudge" by Professors, Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein.

If you haven't read the book yet I highly recommend it. But only if you're interested in understanding why people do the things they do. And how you can "nudge" buying decisions toward more sales, more often.

And since you're a marketer I assume you're interested...

Now the question is... How can we boost conversions on our sales pages using nudge style marketing?

It really boils down to something we all know quite well (at least I hope we all do) ...

Testing different elements and measuring response rates.

Every copywriter worth their salt knows about testing - traffic, headlines, openings, offers, guarantees, etc.

But we also want to test design elements on our pages. Copy and design must work together to help "nudge" our customer towards bigger sales, more often.
  • Does moving the "buy now" button further up the page increase conversions?
  • How about changing the color of the button to make it more inviting?
  • Can we de-clutter the page to make it flow better?

All of these things can impact the flow of the buying process.

And no... we're not talking about increasing conversions by 12,000% - or tripling response rates overnight. (I'll leave those types of claims to the bullshitters of the marketing world. Because right now we're only dealing with reality and truth about sales and marketing).

In other words we're talking about incremental changes to "nudge" conversions higher, and higher.

Think about this for a second... if you're currently getting average conversion rates of 2 to 3% - what would another 1 or 2% boost mean for you and your business right now?

Want an example of how nudging marketing might work for you?

I was working with one of my long-term clients who's in the self help / self development arena. Our sales page led customers to an order page, and on the order page customers could pick the items they wanted and proceed to checkout.

On average, people who completed checkout would purchase 1 or 2 products.

Sales were pretty good, but we wanted to see if we could make them better.

So I made one simple little change...

Instead of having customers add the products they wanted, we checked all the boxes and allowed them to remove the products they didn't want. And of course I modified the copy to reflect the change.

From: We believe in all of our products. But only you can decide what's best for you. So simply choose the items you believe will help you the most at this time.

To: We believe in all of our products. But only you can decide what's best for you. So remove the items you don't believe will help you at this time.

The result...

The average sale went up nearly 30% across the board.
Instead of 1 or 2 items, most people were checking out with 2 or 3 items.

There's a lot of psychological factors that went into this process, and we won't go too deep into them right now because of time limits.
But it has to do with the "endowment effect", and an equally powerful bias known as "loss aversion".

The endowment effect is basically when we place a higher value on something simply because it's already ours.

And loss aversion is that feeling of insecurity at missing out on something, or losing something we already have.

The point is...
Without making any other changes we "nudged" people to increase the size of their purchase.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty cool the way it worked and I thought I'd share it.
So what can you do right now to nudge your conversion rates higher?
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends