Do You Want to SEE a Brilliant Salesperson... In ACTION?

Rants, raves, fun and games. And anything not directly related to copywriting
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Do You Want to SEE a Brilliant Salesperson... In ACTION?

Post by SARubin »

Like old Mike Murdock used to say...

"If some people would only think twice, they'd be the smartest person in the group".

I always got a chuckle whenever he said that.

Mike Murdock was one of those Evangelical type pastors on T.V.

Now I'm not a religious person, but I used to watch one or two of these preachers for the brilliant sales lessons they taught.

20 minutes if front of the camera and old Mike would have an entire room full of order taking phones ringing off the hook. Orders for prayers came rolling in starting at $59.00 a prayer.

That's right - In less than half an hour thousands of people would shell out $59, and up, for little more than a temporary feeling that everything'll be alright.

Of course I hold no animosity against any peaceful religion. Most people, including myself, find comfort and purpose when we believe in something bigger than ourselves. And as long as you don't force others against their own peaceful beliefs then I see no reason we can't all get along.

But from a strictly selling point of view, watching old Mike in action was like a religious experience to me.

Some of these T.V. preachers (not all of them, but some of them) are frickin brilliant sales people.

The better ones I've seen have a few traits in common...

They start out slow and methodical with the calm voice of reason, getting attention by telling stories the audience already believes to be true. Then, touching on a few common pain points and fears, they steadily build to a FIERY PASSION filling the room with marvelous stories of hope, just before asking followers to call in and make a donation.

It was like an infomercial.
But instead of soap, they were selling hope

You know I've written a lot of copy over the past 2 decades, and I've helped sell a lot of products and services. And I can only hope and pray that someday I'll be able to write on paper with the same passion some of these preachers show in front of the camera.

(I'm talking about "skillful passion", not the over-hyped B.S. commonly propagating the internet these days)

Of course these preachers have body language, facial expressions and voice tonality working in their favor. So my dream might be an impossible goal to reach?
But I've always figured if we shoot for the stars we at least end up higher than we started

Anyway, if you really want to see a Brilliant Salesperson, in Action...

Go watch one of the more popular preachers as they strut their stuff on TV.

You don't have to believe in what they're selling, but you can learn a hellavu lot by watching how they do it.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends