What's the weirdest thing you've ever been asked to sell?

Rants, raves, fun and games. And anything not directly related to copywriting
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

What's the weirdest thing you've ever been asked to sell?

Post by SARubin »

Oh what a strange couple of days it’s been…

There I was, just minding my own business, when I got an email request from a potential client.

This person asked if I’d be willing to write sales copy in the adult industry. She went on to say her website is getting a lot of traffic but not many sales, and she could use some help.

Now bear in mind, the adult industry is not my standard wheelhouse. But I figured “hey, I’m an adult” (sort of)… and this isn’t the first time I’ve written for this type of niche.

So I got back to her and we started a conversation.

After a little back and forth (no pun intended), I agreed to take a look at her website. And here’s where things got a little weird…

Some of the toys on this website were a bit unusual, to say the least. Now I’m not a prude by any means, and I always try to keep an open mind, but some of this stuff just had me shaking my head and saying WTF???

Truth be told… I actually considered taking the assignment (for about 2 seconds) because I’m always interested in new and interesting projects. But what stopped me was thinking that if I had to research this niche, how would I ever explain my website browsing history to my wife and kids?”

I could almost hear the conversation now…

KIDS: “Hey mom? Why is dad looking at fetish websites?”

MOM: “I don’t know kids. But we’re moving out until your dad works through this mid life crisis”

ME: “But guys, it’s just research for a job this time!… I promise!”

Yeah, that was a conversation I didn’t even want to get into… So I politely declined the assignment. And I recommended another copywriter I know, who would be a better fit for her.

Anyway, this experience did remind me there’s a great big world out there, with all different kinds of people in it. And I think it’s good to be reminded of that sometimes

So that’s one interesting thing that happened to me this week. And it brings a question to mind (more of a curiosity really)…

And my question for you is… What’s the strangest thing that you’ve ever been asked to sell?
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends