So, what business books are you reading right now?

Rants, raves, fun and games. And anything not directly related to copywriting
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

That was the question I asked this young buck the other day, when he asked me how he could make more money with his online business. Of course, I could’ve gone through the standard list of normal questions, like…

- who’s your target market…?
- what are you selling…?
- what is your market buying (which is often not the same thing that you think you’re selling)?
- how are you currently advertising…?
- what is and isn’t working, so far? etc. etc. etc.

But I didn’t take the “normal” route for two reasons…

1 – I didn’t have the time for an in depth interview with this guy. And…

2 – I’ve been running into more and more people lately, who are only looking for a quick fix technique, or some simple method for bringing in a ton of money, right away.

And I understand a lot of people just want to make fat stacks of cash, practically overnight. (Especially when so many internet GooRoos are peddling the dream).

But those pipe dreams aren’t for real. And the internet is littered with the corpses of countless businesses that were born one day, and died soon after.

So lately, when someone asks me how they can increase revenue for their business; I ask them what books they’re currently reading.

If they tell me they don’t have time to read any books… then I tell them they don’t have the ambition to grow their business.

NOTE: When I talk about “reading books” I’m also referring to audiobooks, podcasts, videos, seminars, or anything else that continuously moves you forward in your business or your personal life.

I still want to help anyone (and everyone) who asks for help. But I guess my patience has been wearing a bit thin trying to help people, when they won’t even try to help themselves.

Seriously, if you’re not continuously learning how to improve your business… then you’re not serious about growing your business.

I’ll finish this little rant of mine, with some food for thought.

I didn’t make this next quote up, but it makes for a fitting conclusion to this post. And I suppose it could relate to life, as well as business…

The world is constantly changing, and moving forward (with or without us). And if we’re not constantly learning and moving forward, then we’re not standing still… we’re falling behind.

So… What books are you currently reading?

Edit: Just in case you’re wondering… right now I’m currently listening to the audiobook “Robert Cialdini – PreSuasion” , and I also have “Lisa Cron – Wired for Story” cued up in my mp3 player.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Rhonda

Re: So, what business books are you reading right now?

Post by Rhonda »

After your suggestion I am now reading the book Wired For Story.
WordyWordpecker
Writer

Re: So, what business books are you reading right now?

Post by WordyWordpecker »

I just started reading the Gary Halbert letters. It’s not a book, but it’s still good reading.
Share This With Friends