Pre-supposing And Pre-framing – an intermediate lesson (for beginners)

Tips, tricks, and techniques to make you a better copywriter
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Pre-supposing And Pre-framing – an intermediate lesson (for beginners)

Post by SARubin »

pre-framing.jpg

Reading Time: About 3 minutes

OK, I already know some of you more intelligent and experienced copywriters understand what pre-suppositions and pre-framing is, when it comes to persuasive copywriting?

So this lesson is for the less experienced sales writer, who wants to “up their game” and take it to the next level.

First, let me start with a short and sweet definition of what we’re talking about here, just to get this party started…

For the sake of this post, a pre-supposition is basically the same thing as pre-framing or “priming” the next thing you’re about to say, to put your reader in the right state of mind.

(Yes, I can already hear the grammarians among us screaming “that’s not the true definition of a presupposition!”)

Well, maybe… maybe not. But I write copy designed to sells things, not to impress my English teacher. So this is the definition we’re going with for this post.

A pre-suppostion or pre-frame is used to slide an idea “under the radar”, and subtly pre-dispose your reader to the idea, so they’re more open to believing the next part of your message.

OK, I’ll admit that definition might sound a little confusing. So…Would you like to see an example of what I’m talking about?

Well then, go back and re-read the beginning of this post. (go ahead, I’ll wait)

In case you missed it, I started this post by saying…

“I already know some of you more intelligent and experienced copywriters understand what pre-suppositions and pre-framing means, when it comes to persuasive copywriting”

“So this lesson is for the less experienced sales writer, who wants to up their game and take it to the next level”

Basically, I stated… if you’re intelligent and experienced (like me 😉 ), then what I’m saying is already established truth, and you should already know it.

And for the less experienced writer (my target audience for this post)… if you want to become a more intelligent, experienced writer, it’s in your best interest to pay attention to the wisdom I’m about to lay down for you.

(Or… you can certainly ignore what I’m about to say, and admit you don’t want to be intelligent, or experienced)… The choice is yours.

See how that works? I subtly set the scene for my target audience, so they’ll more easily accept me as an expert, and believe my lesson will help take them to the next level with their writing.

I haven’t tried to sell anything yet, I’ve simply put my target audience (rookie writers) in the state of mind that they’re about to learn something valuable.

And I’m the guy who’s gonna teach it to em’ 😀

In the real world (if I was trying to sell something to newbie copywriters), I’d then continue with some brilliant insights (making my sales piece itself valuable to the readers).

And finally I’d present my call to action. Which would be for them to sign up for my email list, or buy my book, or contact me, or whatever action I want them to take next. (Because if they want to get the real juicy stuff, then they need to respond to my offer).

Now I admit, pre-suppositions (or pre-framing) is a simple little tactic. But, are you starting to see how powerful this could be for your writing?

Of course, you gotta be careful using them. Because if what you “pre-suppose” doesn’t sound believable, then everything you follow it with will have a big fat skeptical question mark, hanging over it.

(in other words… If you start slinging too mush B.S. from the start– Your credibility will be shot to hell. And nobody will believe anything you say after that.)

So now, the questions beckon…

Is using this tactic dishonest?… No, not really. As long as you’re only using mild rhetoric, and not flat out lying to anyone.

Is it manipulative?… Well, maybe? But if you’re only using it to provide honest value to people, that will improve their lives, then it’s leaning more towards persuasion and influence, rather than manipulation.

Is it powerful stuff?… You betcha, it is! (as long as you don’t overdo it)

Anyway, I hope this short lesson gives you up and coming writers, something that helps improve your persuasive sales writing skills.

It’s certainly NOT an end-all-be-all cure for the crappy sales piece. But, it can be another tool for your persuasive writing tool kit.

Here’s to writing better winners, more often.

All the best,
SAR
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends