CURIOSITY in copywriting is one of the more powerful emotions we can evoke

Knowing how to sell is half the equation... Knowing why people buy is the bigger half.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

CURIOSITY in copywriting is one of the more powerful emotions we can evoke

Post by SARubin »

When we use curiosity in our copywriting most people can't resist wanting to know more...

Curiosity creates a vacuum in our readers mind. An uneasy feeling that something is incomplete and more information is needed
This gets our readers to keep reading because the mystery must be solved before the uneasy feeling can be relieved.

Here's a few common signals from someone who's feeling curious...

leaning forward and listening more intently

A change in facial expression to a more open or focused appearance

Ignoring outside distractions

Touching ones own face

Asking more focused questions (who, what, when, where, why, how)

A desire to investigate and a need to know more

And here's a few more words you can add to your copy to evoke curiosity...
Mystery, or Mysterious
Little known
Secret
Discover
Imagine
Sneaky
Would you like to know
Picture this...

Weave some of these ideas into your copy to create curiosity.
It's one more powerful way to trigger a higher response from your copywriting.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
katieramsingh

Re: CURIOSITY in copywriting is one of the more powerful emotions we can evoke

Post by katieramsingh »

SARubin can you please provide an example of CURIOSITY copywriting?
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

katieramsingh wrote: February 12th, 2023, 7:40 am SARubin can you please provide an example of CURIOSITY copywriting?
I guess we can say that technically I just did. Curiosity made you want to see an example, and made you want to know more. ;)

And if you want to know the REAL SECRET, simply reply to this post again and I'll show you a first hand, behind the scenes look, at how you can make it work in your copy...
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
FaridCopywriter

Post by FaridCopywriter »

Yes you did it!

It compelled me to click

Can you please show more examples

Thanks
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

FaridCopywriter wrote: February 18th, 2023, 8:08 am Yes you did it!

It compelled me to click

Can you please show more examples

Thanks
Hey Farid,
Welcome to the copywriters forum. Glad you could join us.

As far as more examples? It really depends on the market we're writing for. Different groups have different interests, and whatever someone is interested in they're usually curious to know more about it.

But in a general sense...

Lots of things can evoke curiosity.

Think about what makes you curious...

For most people it's the feeling of wanting to know more about something. So if we give them a little taste of something interesting, and we hint that there's more... Most of us want to at least know what it is.

It can be caused by the fear of missing out, or perhaps the feeling of a mystery that needs to be solved?
Or I guess we can just attribute it to the Zeigarnik effect, and leave it at that?

I did write a post a while back about using the "knowledge gap" to evoke a sense of curiosity in our readers. If you haven't seen it yet here's a link to it...

The Curse of Knowledge -vs- The Knowledge Gap

It's a short read, and it might have some useful info for you about creating curiosity in your copywriting.
Let me know what you think about it, or if you'd like to see more.

All the best,
Steve
FaridCopywriter

Ohkay!

Got ya!

I have one more question...

But before asking this...

I'd like to tell you about my journey in Copywriting.

About few months back, I started learning Copy...

And now, I've pretty good understanding of how copywriting actually works and how to write a converting copy

But I've got a question stuck in my head...

Like how do we structure the entire copy (more specifically a sales page) when dealing with audience that are already aware of their problems, and also know what solutions exist)

Like I'm talking about: How to structure a copy while keeping the audience's awareness level in mind.

For example

If we are dealing with audience which fall under the category of problem aware...then this structure/wireframing would work...

*pre header
*headline
*lead (secret lead)
*Picturing Current Problems
*Agitate
*Transitioning to Unique mechanism behind the problem
*Transitioning to Unique Mechanism behind the Solution
*Transitioning to product
*Product details
*Benefits (Bullet Points and fascinations etc)
*Offer
*Closing Stacks
*CTA

We can follow this structure while using the Secret angle because the audience is falling under the category of Problem/solution aware...

But what if the audience is not falling under that category and the audience already know about products that could solve their problem (like they are product aware)

How do we structure our copy then like and what angle to use then... because the secret angle will simply not make much more sense here.

I'd love to listen to your tactics as I already saw your profile and found that you have 25 years of experience 😳😲

I just wanna listen to your thoughts on

how to structure a copy that could perfectly resonate with audience according to their awareness stage (Unaware, problem aware, solution aware, product aware, most aware)

And how many angles are there and how to cherry pick a specific angle for the right kinda audience as per the awareness stages

Thank you for reading till the end

Have a great day :)

Farid
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

FaridCopywriter wrote: February 19th, 2023, 11:58 am Ohkay!

Got ya!

I have one more question...

But before asking this...

I'd like to tell you about my journey in Copywriting.

About few months back, I started learning Copy...

And now, I've pretty good understanding of how copywriting actually works and how to write a converting copy

But I've got a question stuck in my head...

Like how do we structure the entire copy (more specifically a sales page) when dealing with audience that are already aware of their problems, and also know what solutions exist)

Like I'm talking about: How to structure a copy while keeping the audience's awareness level in mind.

For example

If we are dealing with audience which fall under the category of problem aware...then this structure/wireframing would work...

*pre header
*headline
*lead (secret lead)
*Picturing Current Problems
*Agitate
*Transitioning to Unique mechanism behind the problem
*Transitioning to Unique Mechanism behind the Solution
*Transitioning to product
*Product details
*Benefits (Bullet Points and fascinations etc)
*Offer
*Closing Stacks
*CTA

We can follow this structure while using the Secret angle because the audience is falling under the category of Problem/solution aware...

But what if the audience is not falling under that category and the audience already know about products that could solve their problem (like they are product aware)

How do we structure our copy then like and what angle to use then... because the secret angle will simply not make much more sense here.

I'd love to listen to your tactics as I already saw your profile and found that you have 25 years of experience 😳😲

I just wanna listen to your thoughts on

how to structure a copy that could perfectly resonate with audience according to their awareness stage (Unaware, problem aware, solution aware, product aware, most aware)

And how many angles are there and how to cherry pick a specific angle for the right kinda audience as per the awareness stages

Thank you for reading till the end

Have a great day :)

Farid
Wow Farid, that's a pretty advanced question for someone who only started their copywriting journey a few months ago. I applaud you \clap/

Have you read Gene Schwartz's book "Breakthrough Advertising"? It's around 60 years old but it's widely accepted as one of the greatest copywriting books of all time. I've read it a couple of times over the years and still haven't grasped it all. It's THAT in-depth.
There's a chapter in there on market awareness.

I haven't read the book in a few years, but I'll dig it out of my archives and I'd love to discuss some of the concepts with you, if you're interested.

But as far as your question...

At some point all product markets reach the stage where they become saturated. When this happens, consumers have seen all the claims, and the hyped-up "Amazing Secret To Everything" angle just doesn't work anymore. (with the exception of maybe art, style, and fashion markets, which are built around hype)

And of course there will always be new people arriving to every market, and a few them will fall for the hype, but most people will have moved beyond it.

When this happens, we can try a couple different angles.

1 - We can find a new "unique mechanism", if it exists.

For example: there are thousands of weight loss products on the market, and the market sophistication has reached a level where most people know what's out there and they've already tried a few of them.

"But our product is derived from a molecule that burns 2X calories for every activity you do. Even walking! And it's only found in a rare melon that grows in the Himalayan Mountains."

Of course that example is completely fabricated, and we don't ever want to lie to our customers, but is it really any more far fetched than the "Keto" diet that took over the market a few years ago? Keto works for some people but doesn't work for most (while it has some scientific backing, keto is about as effective as any other diet for most people)

2 - We can build our campaign around the company's values and get loyal customers based on who we are (build trust in the company), instead of the product itself. When people believe, and trust, a company they're usually willing to spend a little more to feel confident that they're supporting a good business.

Or we can create a charismatic character who represents our company (think the Marlboro Man for cigarettes, or Bear Grylls for outdoor / survival gear, or any of the "influencers" out there with millions of adoring fans who will buy anything their hero recommends)

3 - If it's a mass market approach, we can start by simply naming the product and giving a discounted price or special offer, just to get people in the door.

Of course I would never recommend competing on price alone, because that can quickly turn into a race to the bottom. But loss leaders can be good for building a customer base where we can make money on up-sells, cross-sells, and back-end offers.
(think Amazon. They didn't make a dime in profit for the first 5 or 6 years. But they built a loyal customer base and now they make billions of dollars a year)

So there's a couple angles we can work with for a more "product aware" market. I'm going to go find that Eugene Schwartz book and start reading it again. If I find something relevant for your question I'll come back here and update my answer for you.

All the best,
Steve
FaridCopywriter

Stev thank you so much for putting your efforts...I really appreciate that.

Honestly Speaking, I'm literally freaked out because of this confusion (like how to structure a sales page according to market sophistication Levels and audience awareness stages, and which angle to use)

I personally believe, audience awareness stages and market sophistication Levels are the most important things and these are the factors that decide whether we will get sales or our sales copy would flop miserably.

And yes I'd love to listen to your thoughts in details on this topic...(I mean who could say no to that)

By the way I got the book breakthrough Advertising by legendary Gene

Here's the link to a massive book collection (someone shared it on LinkedIn)

https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/f ... STq5m44V8I

And luckily I found Breakthrough Advertising book there (I've started reading it)

I hope I'd find my answers in this book but still I'd appreciate your guidance on this matter as well because you're insanely experienced Copywriter.

Be Well
Farid
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Yes, that's a fine collection of books on that page. I've read most of them more than once. A couple of them may be a bit outdated, but some of them are truly timeless.
FaridCopywriter wrote: February 20th, 2023, 2:55 pm
Honestly Speaking, I'm literally freaked out because of this confusion (like how to structure a sales page according to market sophistication Levels and audience awareness stages, and which angle to use)

I personally believe, audience awareness stages and market sophistication Levels are the most important things and these are the factors that decide whether we will get sales or our sales copy would flop miserably.
Try not to get too frustrated, or too freaked out about it. It really doesn't need to be that hard. Yes structure can be important, but understanding the wants, needs, and desires of your market is where the real magic happens.

Of course there are timeless fundamental principles that go into all good sales, no matter the medium, and that includes sales copy. But sales copy is also an evolving life force that needs to move with the market.

So by all means, start with the formulas and structures of winning copy to get a feel for it until you begin to find your own voice.

Because remember...

Clayton Makepeace's copy looked nothing like Gary Halbert's copy, and Eugene Schwartz didn't write copy like John Carlton.

But they were all world class copywriters who sold millions.

I've personally had great success over the past few years with conversational style copy.

The fundamentals are still in place. Like starting with a main idea and emotion I want my reader to feel, creating an offer that's hard to resist, building the copy around proof elements (for a skeptical world that doesn't trust easily).

But it really comes down to empathizing with the market and speaking to them in their own language.

Also remember, long form sales copy is different from advertorial copy, which is different from email copy. Yet they can all make you (and your clients) a lot of money.

Of course the worst thing you can do is get stuck in analysis paralysis and become afraid to dip your toe in the water.

My best advice for you right now, Farid, is pick a market and study the people in that market. Find out what they want and what they're already buying, and the types of emotional language they use.
Then use the copywriting knowledge you already have, and the stuff you're going to continue to learn, and try to sell them something.

I know it's and old cliche' but - The best teacher really is "first hand experience".

Just something to think about my friend (or better yet, something to take action on :) )

All the best,
Steve
Share This With Friends