This 35 Year Old Headline Still Rakes In Millions of Dollars Every Year

Blast from the past
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

This 35 Year Old Headline Still Rakes In Millions of Dollars Every Year

Post by SARubin »

When it comes to copywriting, and branding, I love when I find a rock solid control piece that still pulls in millions of dollars, year after year, for a company.

There's just something inspiring about seeing a time tested, battle hardened, piece of copy that's proven itself to not only be recognizable, but it still sells. Even after 30 years!

"I doubt many folks will remember the meme they saw last month, 30 years from now"

This next headline started out with the company "Life Call" back in 1989, and was re imagined with "Life Alert" a couple decades later. And I received in the mail just last week, which indicates it's still working for them all these years later.

In fact this headline worked so good it was registered as an official trademark. I won't go into the history if it, (you can look it up on wikipedia if you want) I just want to share this old classic with everyone who appreciates time tested, money making copy.

To me it's a shining example of how when you pull the right heartstrings, with the right target market... magic happens...

lifealert-direct-mail-insert-front.jpg

Yes, "I've fallen and I can't get up".
How many seniors out there can relate to this very real possibility?

But don't worry... Life Alert is here to help!

Then they include a bunch of FREE stuff...

The visuals pull it all together...

A little social proof down at the bottom...

And heart strings have been pulled.

Powerful stuff...

But the real selling happens on the flip side

lifealert-direct-mail-insert-back.jpg

Starting with the testimonial style headline...

Then the offer, with visual reminders...

A reminder of all the FREE stuff you get...

Ending with the trust elements near the bottom, just before the CTA .

All in all, this insert is a brilliant sales pitch packed into a tiny double sided 3X6 piece of paper.

The only thing I don't see is any type of guarantee.

I guess they probably can't make guarantees about actual lives being saved with their product?
But maybe they could include a guarantee about prompt shipping, or something?

Anyway, this is what came in my mail the other day, and I thought I'd share it with you.

It came as an insert with an offer for an AARP membership.
And it's another great example of how the right copy, to the right market, can continue to rake in millions of dollars year after year...
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends