Good example of "old school" direct response mail…

If it's about getting people to "Directly Respond" to your copy, with the action you want them to take, this is the place for it
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Good example of "old school" direct response mail…

Post by SARubin »

Like the title says, this direct response piece just came in the mail.

It was an insert in one of those weekly circulars that shows up on Saturday.

Anyway, when I saw this piece I couldn’t help but feel a bit nostalgic.

What I mean is with online advertising being all the rage, I still enjoy and appreciate seeing the classic old school methods still in the game. And I thought it would make a great topic for a post.

Now I have my own thoughts on this piece, and I don’t want to sway anyone’s opinion one way or the other, but I will say… I see a lot of POWERFUL elements going on in there.

I don’t know if the company will ever tell me what the response rates are for this piece… but I am going to ask them.

And as I sit here, about to pay the old school way (send in the order form with a personal check) I honestly don’t which one I’m looking forward to more… The $1.50 worth of pennies I just paid 3 bucks for… Or the follow up marketing that’s about to start showing up in my mail.

So anyway, what good stuff do think this piece has going for it? Or what do you think could make it better?

advertisement_complete-penney-set-min.jpg
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Rhonda

Re: Good example of "old school" direct response mail…

Post by Rhonda »

This flier has many good elements. I like the free gift and money back guarantee next to the order form making them prominent at the critical decision time.

I think it could be better with another starburst-callout showing FREE SHIPPING to make that part stand out more. I would also add more story about the history of the penny to bring more interest to the product.

-Rhonda
Share This With Friends