Welcome to the Copywriters Forum

As long as you're here introduce yourself... At least say hi 😀

Beginner Copywriter

At least say hello
spyroscopy

Beginner Copywriter

Post by spyroscopy »

Hello everyone i am a beginner copywriter trying to make a career out of it and learn the skill. I am watching YouTube videos by Jesse Forrest, i watched the introduction (FREE 1-Hour Copywriting Course For Beginners In 2023) and it has been extremely helpful so i'm following his advice. I did some exercises to start with so I asked ChatGPT to give me an exercise as a beginner copywriter and this is what it gave me.

Description of Exercise:
Assignment: Write a Product Description for a Coffee Maker
Scenario: You are writing for a company that sells kitchen appliances. They’ve just released a new coffee maker, and you need to create a product description that will appear on their website. The description should be **engaging, informative, and persuasive**. Focus on the benefits of the product, not just the features.
Product Details:
**Product Name**: BrewMaster Pro Coffee Maker -
**Key Features**: - Makes up to 10 cups of coffee. - Built-in grinder for fresh coffee grounds. - Programmable timer for automatic brewing. - Keep-warm function for up to 2 hours. - Sleek stainless-steel design. - Easy-to-clean removable filter.
Instructions:
1. **Word Count**: Write a product description between **100-150 words**.
2. **Tone**: Use a **friendly, approachable, and persuasive tone**. Imagine you’re speaking to someone who loves coffee but might not know much about coffee makers.
3. **Focus on Benefits**: Instead of only listing features, explain **why** the customer would care about each feature. For example, how does the built-in grinder make their coffee experience better?
4. **Call to Action**: End with a brief call to action that encourages the customer to purchase. --- ### Example Starter: "Start your morning right with the BrewMaster Pro Coffee Maker. With its built-in grinder, you’ll enjoy the freshest, most flavorful coffee every day..." --- Give it a try! Once you’re done, we can review it together.

End Result:
Have you ever fantasized what it’s like to be a barista ?

Hold your breath cause your fantasy is about to become a reality and your only going to be few feet away from the comfort of your bed.

With our brand new BrewMaster Pro Coffee Maker you can enjoy a cup of Joe without the fluff of getting dressed and going down your local every single day Sometimes it can just be exsusting. Especially on those rainy,cold cozy days where you just want to stay in.

So this is why we started to play around with the idea of: Convients without a second thought and eliminating decision fatigue.

Did we also mention ? that if you ever have friends or family over it can make up to 10 coffees and can stay warm for up to 2 hours and the best of all ? It's stainless steel so it's super duper easy to clean when you want to set it up and get it ready for the next day to do all over again.

Ready to feel that morning spark ? Or are you too weak to decline a quick and convenient way to start your day while saving £££ along the way. Click below to accept your barista apron as well, a gift from us to you.

Purchase: ££££

I would appreciate constructive feedback so I can improve and then be able to take on my first job.

Many thank
Spyros
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Beginner Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

It's not bad for a first try, Spyros.
Unfortunately you lost my attention at the first sentence because my answer is no, I've never fantasized what it’s like to be a barista. So my first thought would be "I guess you must be talking to someone else", and I'd click away from that sales page.

I suppose if someone visits the page, someone who does fantasize about being a barista, then that line might catch their attention. But they'd probably be looking for something fancier than a simple coffee maker.
For someone who dreams of being a barista, a fancy coffee maker that makes gourmet lattes and high end espressos might be appealing.
But for a simple 10 cup coffee maker, we'd be looking at a much broader market.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret to good copywriting...

It has little to do with putting words on a page.
It has everything to do with putting the right message on the page.

The key to good copy, the kind of copy that makes a lot of sales, is to understand the market you're selling to.

A better opening for a basic coffee maker could be as simple as "Do you love the taste of a great cup of coffee in the morning?"

A question like that will get many more average people to say "yes" right away. And the first yes is the first step towards getting that second yes.
And the second yes is the next step towards getting that final yes when they say "yes, I want what you're selling".

So always remember... Know your market first.
Then, match your message to the market.

Keep practicing, and keep learning, and you will keep getting better.

All the best,
Steve

spyroscopy wrote: End Result:
Have you ever fantasized what it’s like to be a barista ?

Hold your breath cause your fantasy is about to become a reality and your only going to be few feet away from the comfort of your bed.

With our brand new BrewMaster Pro Coffee Maker you can enjoy a cup of Joe without the fluff of getting dressed and going down your local every single day Sometimes it can just be exsusting. Especially on those rainy,cold cozy days where you just want to stay in.

So this is why we started to play around with the idea of: Convients without a second thought and eliminating decision fatigue.

Did we also mention ? that if you ever have friends or family over it can make up to 10 coffees and can stay warm for up to 2 hours and the best of all ? It's stainless steel so it's super duper easy to clean when you want to set it up and get it ready for the next day to do all over again.

Ready to feel that morning spark ? Or are you too weak to decline a quick and convenient way to start your day while saving £££ along the way. Click below to accept your barista apron as well, a gift from us to you.

Purchase: ££££

I would appreciate constructive feedback so I can improve and then be able to take on my first job.

Many thank
Spyros
These users thanked the author SARubin for the post:
spyroscopy
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
spyroscopy

Post by spyroscopy »

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated! Now for practising purposes how would I practise market research ?
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

spyroscopy wrote: Thanks for the feedback much appreciated! Now for practising purposes how would I practise market research ?
For starters we want to think about who your ideal customer is. Once we know whom we're selling to, then we can spend some time hanging out in their world, it could be out in the real world or on social media. (Like for your coffee maker example you can search for facebook groups of forums that talk about coffee)

What we're looking for is language patterns and common words or phrases they use when they get excited about coffee. We also want to understand what's important to them when they're looking to buy a coffee maker.
These things will help you speak directly to them, in language they care about, when you write your copy.

Since you're just practicing you can start by creating an avatar of a pretend customer.
Here's a little post I wrote a couple years ago that might help you get the thought process started...

Defining Your Customers – Fundamentals Of Copywriting Part 2

Hope it helps.

All the best,
Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends