As long as you're here introduce yourself... At least say hi 😀

Hello Copywriters

At least say hello
Wordsmith
Tagline: It's In The Research!

Hello Copywriters

Post by Wordsmith »

Hello Copywriters Forum,

I'm glad I found a forum I can be apart of and contribute to.

My writing career spans nearly 30 years. I still research and write for digital marketing agencies recognized by Google, Forbes, FedEx, TechCrunch, Certified Storybrand, and They Ask You Answer. Over the years, I've written content for numerous industries, online news sites, published 2 books and 1 home study course. I also served as an in-house copywriter and editor to assist contract writers.

But...

I'm still a student of good old fashion direct response copywriting and learning from the group.

Thank you for this forum.
These users thanked the author Wordsmith for the post:
SARubin
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Hello Copywriters

Post by SARubin »

Wordsmith wrote: March 25th, 2021, 12:21 pm Hello Copywriters Forum,

I'm glad I found a forum I can be apart of and contribute to.

My writing career spans nearly 30 years. I still research and write for digital marketing agencies recognized by Google, Forbes, FedEx, TechCrunch, Certified Storybrand, and They Ask You Answer. Over the years, I've written content for numerous industries, online news sites, published 2 books and 1 home study course. I also served as an in-house copywriter and editor to assist contract writers.

But...

I'm still a student of good old fashion direct response copywriting and learning from the group.

Thank you for this forum.
Hello Wordsmith,
Welcome to the forum.

Wow, that's quite the extensive pedigree you have there. I am humbled that you chose to join us, and I'm looking forward to shooting the breeze with you.

My experience only goes back 20 years or so. Started with direct mail and newspaper ads and eventually moved into digital.

And like you, I'm also a lifelong student of direct response copywriting. I learn new stuff practically everyday, even though most of the new stuff I learn comes from studying the old masters (but when I first learn it, it's still new to me :D )

Let me know if you have any questions about the forum.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

Welcome @Wordsmith -

I can hardly wait to talk copy with an experienced master like yourself. I'm a little over 6 years into my career and I'm sure I can learn a lot from you.

- F
These users thanked the author Franklin for the post:
tucker.swiastyn
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Wordsmith

Post by Wordsmith »

WoW!

I'm the Mel Martin type. I'm that guy behind the scenes, lamp on till 3 am, pounding the keys, hoping the client doesn't need another revision. That's my domain.

But, you. 20+ years of direct mail and newspaper ads, now I'm in the presence of a master!

As for today's training, it looks like an old hat, rewrapped in new duds. They just have cooler toys.

One thing I've noticed about today's marketer. Many haven't discovered the long game with copywriting yet.

Thank you for the warm welcome.
SARubin wrote: March 25th, 2021, 12:43 pm Hello Wordsmith,
Welcome to the forum.

Wow, that's quite the extensive pedigree you have there. I am humbled that you chose to join us, and I'm looking forward to shooting the breeze with you.

My experience only goes back 20 years or so. Started with direct mail and newspaper ads and eventually moved into digital.

And like you, I'm also a lifelong student of direct response copywriting. I learn new stuff practically every day, even though most of the new stuff I learn comes from studying the old masters (but when I first learn it, it's still new to me :D )

Let me know if you have any questions about the forum.
Wordsmith

Post by Wordsmith »

Hello Franklin,

6 years! That's great news! Before you know it, you'll be celebrating 10 years.

You're more of a master than you realize. It takes sure tenacity in those early years of your career to make it.

I'm sure there are lessons from your experience, I too could learn from and apply to my skill sets.

Thank you for the warm welcome.
Franklin wrote: March 25th, 2021, 1:58 pm Welcome @Wordsmith -

I can hardly wait to talk copy with an experienced master like yourself. I'm a little over 6 years into my career and I'm sure I can learn a lot from you.

- F
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Wordsmith wrote: March 25th, 2021, 2:59 pm I'm the Mel Martin type. I'm that guy behind the scenes, lamp on till 3 am, pounding the keys, hoping the client doesn't need another revision. That's my domain.
Yeah, I'm the same way. The more popular we are the more everyone wants a piece of our time. At my age I'm OK being behind the scenes.

Funny you mention Mel Martin (now I know you're for real when you say you've been around for a while :) Not too many people ever heard of him)
Almost embarrassed to admit I never heard of Mel Martin until a few years ago. But when I first saw his headlines, at that moment, it changed my entire world.

I'd been looking to get away from the hypey headlines for a long time, and was racking my brains trying to figure it out. Then someone introduce me to an old Mel Martin ad.

I don't remember which ad it was at the moment, but I remember reading the headline and thinking "That's it... it's brilliant". No hype, just - "if this sounds like you, then I have something you want"

He was a master at calling out his audience in a headline.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
WordyWordpecker
Writer

Post by WordyWordpecker »

Hello @Wordsmith,

I am glad you found this forum too, and I am excited to learn from someone with your experience.
Can I ask what is the title of your books and course?
Wordsmith

Post by Wordsmith »

Hello Wordy,

Like many writers starting off, you have this dream of one day writing and publishing a book.

Well, that day came back in 2004, 11 years after I started my copywriting career. To my surprise, it did well for 8 years, but interest in it died off.

That first book was written for the Promotional Products industry. It was titled "My Little White Mug". That book eventually turned into a lengthy home study course of the same name.

The second book was for the Tool Peddler industry. It was titled "How To Create A Company Catalog". It did not do as well as my first book, but it open doors for me and brought in more business.

But regardless of the success and failure I went through, I fulfilled my dream of writing and publishing a book.

Since those days, I stick to writing copy, SEO content, Web page content and leave the book writing to authors.
WordyWordpecker wrote: March 29th, 2021, 10:08 am Hello @Wordsmith,

I am glad you found this forum too, and I am excited to learn from someone with your experience.
Can I ask what is the title of your books and course?
copyclem

Post by copyclem »

Wordsmith wrote: March 30th, 2021, 1:58 pm But regardless of the success and failure I went through, I fulfilled my dream of writing and publishing a book.

Since those days, I stick to writing copy, SEO content, Web page content and leave the book writing to authors.
hello Wordsmith,

If I may pick your brain for a bit, how would you explain your reason for leaving the book writing gig and stuck with the copywriting, SEO content, Webpage content?

Thanks.
clem
copyclem

Post by copyclem »

Oh!! and where were my manners....

Happy New Year to everyone here at CF, wishing all a safe and healthy 2022 ahead. :)/
Wordsmith

Post by Wordsmith »

Hello Clem,

I just started a 6-month project and meant to come back and respond. My apologies for the delay.

To answer your question, I'm a business owner first and foremost. My goal is to generate money for my company quickly.

Unfortunately, the process is labor-intensive with book writing gigs, and the profits are not as significant as one might think.

When I'm writing sales copy, SEO content, or webpage content, I make a ton of money.

I write for marketing agencies and service-based businesses, and they keep me very busy.

For instance, I recently wrote 148 landing pages for an HVAC client. I was paid $11,000.

Another client just reached out, and I started four new projects with them totaling $30K.

The best part is I don't have to deal with refunds, coding, rounds of editing, committees, and other time-wasting taskmasters.

Thanks for asking.
copyclem wrote: January 8th, 2022, 8:02 am hello Wordsmith,

If I may pick your brain for a bit, how would you explain your reason for leaving the book writing gig and stuck with the copywriting, SEO content, Webpage content?

Thanks.
clem
copyclem

Post by copyclem »

I see, and thanks for getting back to me. no problem on the delayed.

the reason I asked is because I've only recently started out on becoming a writer (of some sort), and there's really only so much information on the internet I can go by when trying to understand what it takes to be a copywriter, writer, etc.

hence I was curious to know why you made the switch. so, thank you for the feedback.

I guess the next thing to figure out is how should I charge. right now I'm starting slow, managed to covert someone to let me write blogs when he was initially looking for a product sourcing agent. I will take some time to feel things out.
Wordsmith

Post by Wordsmith »

Let's address a few things to help speed up your process.
copyclem wrote: February 5th, 2022, 11:27 am The reason I asked is because I've only recently started out on becoming a writer (of some sort), and there's really only so much information on the internet I can go by when trying to understand what it takes to be a copywriter, writer, etc.
As a beginner, you have one massive resource at your disposal that will get you what you need. That's over at AWAI a.k.a. American Writers & Artists Institute. I've been a member for 10+ years, and every course I took, made me a better copywriter. So, if you really want that practical knowledge, I encourage you to join and begin digging into their courses. Here is the website link and it is not an affiliate link. https://www.awai.com/
copyclem wrote: February 5th, 2022, 11:27 amHence I was curious to know why you made the switch. so, thank you for the feedback.
I never switched. I've been a direct response copywriter since 1993. The book writing gigs started in 2004 as a new venture, but my copywriting has never stopped.
copyclem wrote: February 5th, 2022, 11:27 amI guess the next thing to figure out is how should I charge. right now I'm starting slow, managed to convert someone to let me write blogs when he was initially looking for a product sourcing agent. I will take some time to feel things out.
AWAI does produce a yearly pricing guide and you'll find the 2022 version here and it is not an affiliate link. https://www.awai.com/copywriter-rates/

I do hope you succeed, and will grow your writing business beyond your expectations.

Have a great and prosperous new year!
Share This With Friends