Welcome to the Copywriters Forum

As long as you're here introduce yourself... At least say hi 😀

Hello everyone!

At least say hello
Pavan Matkar

Hello everyone!

Post by Pavan Matkar »

Firstly, I want to thank you all for creating a community for copywriters. You have created this community to help newbies to build the skill of effective content writing. I want to learn as much as I can from this copywriters community. Hope that I can help you too by some way. Pls
These users thanked the author Pavan Matkar for the post:
SARubin
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Hello everyone!

Post by SARubin »

Hi Pavan,

Welcome to the community 🙂

Feel free to have a look around. And let me know if you have any questions…

All the best,

Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Pernell P

Post by Pernell P »

Heya, welcome to the party.

I’m also a newbie, but I’ll do my best to help too!
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

Hi Pavan Matkar,

Welcome to the forum.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Pavan Matkar

Post by Pavan Matkar »

Thanks for such a warm welcome Mr.SARubin. Its impressive that you have 20 years of experience in copywriting. Will you pls tell me where shoul I start practicing copywriting as I am new here. Also pls let me know by anyway I can help you. I am ready to work as a apprantice.

Just need some guidelines.

Thanks in advance Sir.

-Yours

Pavan Matkar
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Pavan Matkar wrote: January 15th, 2020, 11:37 am Thanks for such a warm welcome Mr.SARubin. Its impressive that you have 20 years of experience in copywriting. Will you pls tell me where shoul I start practicing copywriting as I am new here. Also pls let me know by anyway I can help you. I am ready to work as a apprantice.

Just need some guidelines.

Thanks in advance Sir.

-Yours

Pavan Matkar
Hey Pavan,

Yeah, I started writing ads and sales copy for my own businesses, back around 1995 after I quit my last official JOB (so I guess it’s closer to 25 years now) Then I started helping other small business owners about 10 or 12 years ago.

Unfortunately, I don’t have anything I need help with at the moment. Most of my time right now is spent working with a few long term clients, and working on my own projects (like this forum). But if you hang around long enough something might come up?

As far as where you should start practicing writing?

Right now you’re in a bit of a catch 22 situation. Which basically means you need experience to attract paying clients… but how can you get experience without any clients to write for?

If you just start putting yourself out there as an inexperienced writer, you’re most likely going to attract low end clients and bargain hunters…

These types of clients tend to be the worst clients you could ever work for. They’ll pay you pennies (if they pay you at all) and they’ll nitpick, and complain about how your writing isn’t perfect (as if “perfect” was actually a real thing)

Also, the competition for low end writers is fierce (as you can easily see on sites like fiverr, freelancer, and upwork, etc)

So because you have no experience, in this case I recommend you start creating your own experience.

Let me explain…

If you’re going for content writing, the first thing you should do is just start writing content.

Find a couple niches that are interesting to you. Study some of the more popular websites and blogs, and study the articles and posts for their style and formatting.

Then start writing you own blog posts, essays and articles about that niche.

Write as if one of those top websites has commissioned you to write for them, and they are going to publish it. (in other words… don’t half ass it. You will learn to write with the same discipline as you train. So write like you mean it.)

These samples will become part of your portfolio.

Then you can put your samples on display. You’re going to want a platform where you can display your portfolio samples (your own blog or website, a social network, or somewhere your target audience might hang out…?)

These samples will be the beginning of your “experience”. And if you want to sound a bit more
professional you can refer to them as “spec” assignments (which, if we spin it right… basically means you wrote it for someone, but it never got used)

At least this way you’ll have something to show if anyone asks for samples.

If you’re feeling bold, you can also start contacting some of those influential sites and ask if you can offer them a guest post. If they ask for samples of your writing you can direct them to your portfolio which will contain the kind of writing they approve of (because you styled it after the same stuff they already use)…

You may not get a “yes” right away, and you may not get paid for your guest posts, but you’ll be getting yourself known. And you’ll be establishing your personal brand, which will become one of your most valuable assets one day.

You can also continue to post on this forum, and over time build your reputation as a writer
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends