Welcome to the Copywriters Forum

As long as you're here introduce yourself... At least say hi 😀

New member asking for advice

At least say hello
akbadji@21

New member asking for advice

Post by akbadji@21 »

Hello, I am new, my name is ANNA. I want to start writing, but I don't know where to start. I had started doing a blog where I published two articles but then I gave up. I also created two sales sites; Facebook pages and groups. In short, I like to write. But the worry is that I want to get into copywriting and offer my services to businesses, but I don't know where to start. I read a lot of articles where we talk about offering to write for free at the beginning but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Could you give me some advice?
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: New member asking for advice

Post by SARubin »

Hello ANNA, and welcome to the forum.
akbadji@21 wrote: I want to start writing, but I don't know where to start. I had started doing a blog where I published two articles but then I gave up. I also created two sales sites; Facebook pages and groups. In short, I like to write.
Yes, being a freelancer gives us freedom to create our own future. But that freedom comes with a price.
The price is self discipline, because we don't have a boss telling us what time to start work, and how much to do each day.

The best thing I can recommend right now is to go write another article for your blog. Start with just one article today.
Then if you can write one more tomorrow that would be great. If you can't write one tomorrow, wait a few days and then write another one.

Even if you only take baby steps... A little bit of something is better than a whole lot of nothing
The key is to just take one step towards your goal. Then another. Then another.

Before you know it, in a couple months you'll have a dozen articles on your blog
akbadji@21 wrote: But the worry is that I want to get into copywriting and offer my services to businesses, but I don't know where to start. I read a lot of articles where we talk about offering to write for free at the beginning but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Could you give me some advice?
Yes, it can be difficult finding clients when you're just starting out and have no experience .

But I don't recommend working for "free". If nothing else at least ask for a testimonial in exchange for the work. So you can start to build a portfolio.
In business there always needs to be some exchange of value or you'll be letting the world know you don't value yourself.
And when you set a value of zero for your own worth, the world is not going to raise your asking price for you.

The best advice I can give you right now is to go write another article for your blog. It doesn't need to be good, it just needs to be written.
And if you'd like to show it to me when you're done, I'd be happy to take a look and possibly offer some tips or advice to help you.

Looking forward to seeing what you write.

All the best,
Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
copyclem

Post by copyclem »

akbadji@21 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 12:11 pm I don't know where to start. I had started doing a blog where I published two articles but then I gave up
Hi Anna, that makes 2 of us :D But I'm not about to give it up yet, just need to work out a plan on how to move forward.

Right now I'm setting up a blog to start writing and exploring the styles and contents and use the site as a portfolio. I'm also gonna keep it simple for now, focusing just on the blog and building a portfolio. I did setup a Twitter and Instagram account as well, but that's only to reserve a 'name spot', but I doubt I'll be spending time on them just yet.

If it helps, and if you're willing, we can be newbie buddies purely for encouragement and having someone to move forward with.

All the best.
akbadji@21

Post by akbadji@21 »

Hi SARubin
thank you for your advice. I didn't think about before. I'll start writing an article every day if possible.
And it'll be a pleasure to show you what I'm going to write and get your point
All the best,
Anna
akbadji@21

Post by akbadji@21 »

hi, copyclem you have a good strategy. I've started building my online portfolio and want to include some screenshots of my blog posts from the blogs and pages I run. I still did a few articles. But I will focus more on writing more articles as advised by SArubin because I know that I could have more experience with this technique. I am forgetting this story of writing for free :) . Finally, it will be an immense joy to be your beginner friend to discuss and exchange. After all, we are in the same boat :)/
copyclem

Post by copyclem »

hello Anna,

If we are allowed to openly share our questions, progress and plans going forward, perhaps others could join in as well. Sharing and giving tips and advice
Share This With Friends