Welcome to the Copywriters Forum

As long as you're here introduce yourself... At least say hi 😀

Hello from Derbyshire, UK.

At least say hello
JonnyStat

Hello from Derbyshire, UK.

Post by JonnyStat »

Hi all

I'm excited to have found your community. I'm an oil industry geologist (speciaising in geocomputing/technology) and am hoping to switch careers to copywriting -- and am also hoping that I havent left it too late, given that I'm now 52.

For the last two years, I've been writing much of the marketing material for my present employer and really enjoyed doing so. I also write fiction as a hobby, and have had a couple of short stories published in the past. I'd imagine I have a lot to learn, and it'll be quite a challenge to switch careers with such little experience, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Looking forward to getting involved with the groups here!

Jonny
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: Hello from Derbyshire, UK.

Post by Franklin »

Hi JonnyStat
Welcome to the forum :)/

You're not too old to get started, Col. Sanders didn't start Kentucky Fried chicken until he was around 65 years old.
I know that's a weird comparison, but just sayin' :D
These users thanked the author Franklin for the post:
JonnyStat
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
JonnyStat

Post by JonnyStat »

Thanks for the warm welcome, Franklin - and the interesting fact :)
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

JonnyStat wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 11:58 am Hi all

I'm excited to have found your community. I'm an oil industry geologist (speciaising in geocomputing/technology) and am hoping to switch careers to copywriting -- and am also hoping that I havent left it too late, given that I'm now 52.

For the last two years, I've been writing much of the marketing material for my present employer and really enjoyed doing so. I also write fiction as a hobby, and have had a couple of short stories published in the past. I'd imagine I have a lot to learn, and it'll be quite a challenge to switch careers with such little experience, but I'm willing to give it a go.

Looking forward to getting involved with the groups here!

Jonny
Hi Jonny, and welcome.
Glad you could join us.
I have to ask (what might be a stupid question), but what exactly is geocomputing? Never heard of it before.

As far as 52 being too late to start copywriting... Are you still breathing? And able to function?
Just kidding :D but the desire you have means the innate ability is already in you.

Can I share a secret with you about starting late...

I'm in my 59th year, and about 6 weeks ago I started a YouTube channel.
I still have no idea what I'm doing but I'm learning as I go. I still need to figure out how to attract more eyeballs but I already have 10 followers, so only 990 more to go and I can start making money! 8-) :D

Anyway, glad to have you on board.
All the best,
Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends