If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

Any Creative Writers become Copywriters

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
Mariowalker904

Any Creative Writers become Copywriters

Post by Mariowalker904 »

I got introduced to copywriting from a youtube channel by the name of Location Rebel. Here's his video that sparked the interest in copywriting for me youtube.com/watch?v=heGUDlWMNgQ&t=329s. I found this video last month after falling to find a regular part-time job. I heard a voice in my head that said freelance writing and boom that's when I discovered this thing called copywriting. I was a bit intimated at first being that I never worked as a copywriter and I barely could sell any books. I kinda let copywriting go for a bit until about last week. I tried selling my services as a poet on Fiverr but nothing worked, so I decided "let me try this copywriting thing again". That's what sparked the passion in me. I was tired of having an empty bank account and I really wanted to learn how to sell.

As a poet, I came from a world where making money was seen as taboo. The poetry world is stuck on this "starving artist" mindset. There are poets out there that are making a living off their work they're super rare and most work regular jobs. I was crazy enough to try being a full-time poet last year when I had a wop of cash in my bank account (from my mother's life insurance policy she willed to me after her death) but I failed miserably. By Thanksgiving, I had 700 dollars left in my bank account, and I got scolded by my Godmother for over an hour about finances and adulting. That was the day I hit rock bottom. I felt like I failed as a man, a writer, and as a Christian. I like copywriting because while it involves sales. It's all about attention mix with a good story. I have been passionate about marketing for years and I been writing as a hobby for over a decade so copywriting shouldn't be too hard for me.

The reason why I want to be a copywriter is to make money and help others. The self-development field is where I want to focus on. I know what is like to be discouraged and to feel like a failure. I want to use the power of copywriting to help' people live out God's dream for their life.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Any Creative Writers become Copywriters

Post by SARubin »

Mariowalker904 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 12:13 am I have been passionate about marketing for years and I been writing as a hobby for over a decade so copywriting shouldn't be too hard for me.
Hey Mario,

I think it's great you want to be a copywriter. And yes, there's a lot of money to be made with copywriting.
But the only people who will tell you it's easy, are the people trying to sell you their copywriting courses.

Especially with all the low end freelance sites like fiverr, upwork, freelancer, etc. that have turned writing into a commodity. These sites are training customers to believe that writing should only cost a few dollars. And there's no shortage of low end writers ready to oblige. (Unfortunately, 90% of the business owners who hire writers from those sites get what they pay for, and then spend half their time complaining how there's no good writers to be found).

So if you want to make some real money, you'll need to separate yourself from the commodity writing crowd.

Even then, in the beginning there will likely be more frustration than success. It could take months before you start to make a decent paycheck. But if you stick with it you can absolutely make a great living with copywriting.

I'm not saying any of this this to discourage you, quite the opposite, I'm saying this so you can decide right now you're willing to stick with it and do what it takes to succeed.

If you really want to make a go of it then we should start with a solid foundation.

The first thing I recommend is to go read "Scientific Advertising by Claude Hopkins". Read it 3 or 4 times until the lessons become obvious to you. It's a quick read that explains the foundational principle of testing and measuring results from advertising.

Because the truth is, rarely does a piece of copy hit a home-run on the first try. It's all about testing, measuring results, making changes, and testing again. Then when we get some good results we can leave that sales copy in place as a control piece. (even then, it could probably be improved. But at some point we just have to move on to the next thing)

If you're logged into this site you can go download a PDF copy of Scientific Advertising from our free download section, here...

Scientific Advertising

Next you'll need to study what makes effective copywriting work, from a sales point of view.

Here's another PDF you can begin with. It's just a basic primer in good copywriting, but it's a pretty good one...

Effective Copywriting 101

Anyway Mario, if you're really interested in making it work, then go download those ebooks and get started today.

All the best,
Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
zohaibsalman

Re: Any Creative Writers become Copywriters

Post by zohaibsalman »

thanks for the wondeful advice.
Share This With Friends