If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

Introducing a Headline Formula Guaranteed to Pull Readers Into Your Copy

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

See... It works!

I just used a simple 3 part formula for my topic headline, and here you are reading this post.

Would you like to know my simple recipe for magnetic headlines?

It's not a complicated formula. In fact, once you hear it you may be amazed at how obvious it is.

I first discovered this formula about 10 years ago when I read the classic book "Tested Advertising Methods" (edition 4) by John Caples. And like many new things I learn in this life, at that moment it changed my entire world.

Some of the more experienced copywriters among us already know this secret sauce for winning headlines.

But if you don't know it yet you're in for a real treat, because this simple 3 part checklist is so powerful, it's been used by some of the greatest copywriters who ever lived. And it's been at least partly responsible for billions and billions (that's billions with a "B") dollars in sales.

OK, let's break it down so you can see how simple it really is. Then you can use it any time YOU write a headline.

Bear in mind you might not be able to use all 3 parts in every headline you write. But if you can at least squeeze in 2 of them, you'll have the makings of a world class headline.

The 3 parts are...
  1. Newsworthiness
  2. Curiosity
  3. Self Interest

See... I told you it was pretty obvious, right?

Take my headline for this post,

Newsworthiness was represented by the word "Introducing". It's an overused word in headlines these days, but it still invokes an aire of "I'm about to learn something new". Just like reading a news story.

Curiosity comes from ayone who's interested in knowing a formula for winning headlines (like when you first saw the headline, didn't you want to at least know what the formula was?)

And Self Interest is what the entire headline revolves around. Anyone attracted by it wants to know how it can help them write better headlines. And the self interest anchor is the word "Your".

Of the 3 parts, self-interest is the most powerful because let's face it, nobody cares about our offer until they can feel how it'll benefit them.

Newsworthy and curiosity are basically siblings, because most people read the news out of curiosity to know what's going on in the world. So those two are pretty equal.

But if I had to choose one for a mass market, I'd say curiosity is more universal. On the other hand, news can be far more powerful depending on timing and how emotionally charged the current news cycle is.

So there you go. A simple 3 part formula, that if you can implement it correctly, is Guaranteed to Pull Readers Into Your Copy...

Of course we always need to make sure we get our headline out in front of the right audience. So choosing the right market and the right medium comes first.

But that's a topic for another day.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
wrcato

Re: Introducing a Headline Formula Guaranteed to Pull Readers Into Your Copy

Post by wrcato »

That's a good formula for headlines. I love Càples, and his methods are sound for years to come. Thanks for sharing. Now I need to dig that book out and reread it again.
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Yeah, it's a great book. I first read it years ago and just re-read it recently, and that's what inspired me to write this post.

I have a dozen or so classic books in my library worthy of reading multiple times. I don't find too many newer ones worth reading more than once (and some that aren't even worth the first read)

Just finished reading Victor Schwabs "How To Write A Good Advertisement" again. That's another great one I always learn something new from every time I open it.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
TheWauchulin

Post by TheWauchulin »

Speaking of Caples, have you read Advertising Copy by George Burton Hotchkiss?

Let me back up. I'm sure you remember this headline:

They Laughed When I Sat Down At The Piano—But When I Started To Play!

That ad we copywriters hold up in awe was actually constructed from what Caples read and discovered about emotional triggers from the book Advertising Copy. I have the book and it is a fascinating read.
SARubin wrote: March 19th, 2021, 11:19 am Yeah, it's a great book. I first read it years ago and just re-read it recently, and that's what inspired me to write this post.

I have a dozen or so classic books in my library worthy of reading multiple times. I don't find too many newer ones worth reading more than once (and some that aren't even worth the first read)

Just finished reading Victor Schwabs "How To Write A Good Advertisement" again. That's another great one I always learn something new from every time I open it.
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

TheWauchulin wrote: March 19th, 2021, 2:42 pm Speaking of Caples, have you read Advertising Copy by George Burton Hotchkiss?
Never heard of this book. It looks like a good one.
I just checked Amazon and they have a hardcover copy (only 1 left in stock) for the low, low, low price of only $987.25 :shock:

(at that price I think I might wait until it goes on sale :P )
TheWauchulin

Post by TheWauchulin »

If you have Caples' book "Make Ads Pay" chapter 4, page 32 you'll find his account.
SARubin wrote: March 19th, 2021, 9:19 pm
TheWauchulin wrote: March 19th, 2021, 2:42 pm Speaking of Caples, have you read Advertising Copy by George Burton Hotchkiss?
Never heard of this book. It looks like a good one.
I just checked Amazon and they have a hardcover copy (only 1 left in stock) for the low, low, low price of only $987.25 :shock:

(at that price I think I might wait until it goes on sale :P )
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

TheWauchulin wrote: March 19th, 2021, 2:42 pm
Let me back up. I'm sure you remember this headline:

They Laughed When I Sat Down At The Piano—But When I Started To Play!

I think everybody seen this headline or a swiped version of it. If there was ever an award for most swiped headline this would definitely be in the running for top spot.

They Laughed When I __________ But When I Started to __________

I remember hearing a comedian use it one time

They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian - But nobody is laughing now! :lol:
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
WordyWordpecker
Writer

Post by WordyWordpecker »

Another great post by @SARubin. What happened to the thumbs up button that used to here? It was nice to show gratitude for a valuable post.
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

WordyWordpecker wrote: March 20th, 2021, 1:28 pm Another great post by @SARubin.
Thanks Wordywordpecker. I try to make sense when I can ;)
WordyWordpecker wrote: March 20th, 2021, 1:28 pmWhat happened to the thumbs up button that used to here? It was nice to show gratitude for a valuable post.
Yes, I liked having that too. Unfortunately my webhost changed something in their security protocol about a month ago, and it started randomly crashing this site. So I had to disable some of the features to get the site working again.

I've been in contact with them about it and hopefully they get it figured out soon. But at least the site works for now (albeit with some of the cool features disabled :evil: )
Share This With Friends