If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

Who is your target market?

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Who is your target market?

Post by SARubin »

When it comes to writing highly effective sales copy, the first thing we need to think about is "who's our target market?"

Because the truth is - nobody (except us advertising pros) reads an ad and thinks "what a great ad".

People will read what interests them, and what interests people is their own desires (either to avoid pain or find pleasure)

So the first thing we always need to do is understand our market.

What I like to do is imagine I'm talking directly with my ideal customer. Either sitting next to them in a room or meeting with them outside. Wherever it is I'm most likely to find them, is where I want my mind to be when I start thinking about what to write.

I find when we start with this mindset it makes it so much easier to connect with our ideal customer.

Now one of the first questions in my mind is "how sophisticated is my audience?"

How aware are they of my product, and my competition, and how many other ads have they been exposed to?

Is this something new where we need to explain what it is, what it does, or how it works?
Or are they already familiar enough with our type of product so we're in the stage of showing them how ours is better than the competition?

For example: someone searching on google for "how do I get motivated?" is probably new to self help motivational programs. In which case we'd need to explain how such a program can benefit them in the first place.

But someone hanging out at a self help forum has seen dozens of programs advertised, and they may be more interested in finding the one that's right for them.

So how much does our reader know about our type of product?

Next I want to know what are some of the trigger words we can add in our copy.
What language does our market use to describe how they feel about whatever it is we're offering.

Trigger words are just words that resonate with our audience.

For example: going back to our self help program, words like frustration, insecurity, confusion, hope - can trigger an emotional reaction with our market because those are words they use themselves, to describe how they feel about they're own life.

That's why we want our copy to use these words.

So before I write a single word of our copy - I create a list of a dozen or so trigger words from the niche. That way we can be sure to weave them into our copy.

And if we can squeeze a couple of those words into our headline and sub-heads it can have a great impact on our conversions. Because when our ideal customer is browsing the web or skimming a page, these are the words that are going to get them to stop and think, "hey, this describes me! Let me check this out".

OK, another question is "what problem are we trying to solve or what promise / desire are we trying to fulfill?
With our motivational program we may be solving the problem of frustration and insecurity, and offering the promise of a more productive life and more self confidence.

Once we understand where our customer is at in their life, and just as important where they want to be, then we can start to build our copy around those fears and desires.

So we can see how a huge part of this whole process is knowing our markets level of awareness around our type of products.
That way we can communicate with them in a way that makes sense to them, not just to us.

Because it's been said 1000 times before - unless we plan on buying 100% of our own products then we really need to focus on what the other person wants from our type of product.

Anyway, that was my 6am thought for the day.

Onward and upward...
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends