If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

The importance of Proof in Our Copywriting

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

The importance of Proof in Our Copywriting

Post by SARubin »

One thing I don't hear too many copywriters talking about these days is the importance of "proof" in our sales copy.

I hear plenty of talk about creativity and persuasive techniques. And of course we can rely on our words and persuasion techniques to make the sale.

But without infusing proof in our copy we're handicapping ourselves right from the start. Because without it we run into a hurdle in our sales process. And that hurdle is called consumer skepticism.

Even if someone wants to buy our product and they want to trust us, deep inside is that little voice telling them to not let their guard down.

They've been burnt before, or they know someone else who got cheated, or they've just heard too many stories of other people's bad experience.

Whatever the reason, the fact remains uncertainty causes internal conflict. And internal conflict slows down the buying process.

That's why if we truly believe in what we're selling (and I hope you don't sell things you don't believe in) we owe it to our readers to ease their burden of uncertainty, and make the buying process smooth and conflict free as possible for them.
And one of the quickest ways we can do that is through the use of proof in our copy.

So how do we include proof in our copy?

I can think of a half dozen ways off the top of my head, but here's just a couple of the easiest proof elements I've used in my copywriting over the years...

Testimonials
Testimonials and third party endorsements are a proof element because they say other people have trusted us, and were happy with the result. (social proof)

But testimonials are a bit weak these days because most people know they can be bought, faked, or manipulated…

But adding a few legitimate testimonials to our copy doesn’t hurt. And it can usually help.

A powerful guarantee is a good proof element.

Because if we're willing to guarantee our offer, then we must believe in what we’re selling, right?

But we’re not talking about just the standard “30 day money back guarantee”. Almost everyone offers a guarantee like that, to the point where it’s become a neutral factor in persuasion.

But a powerful guarantee can put people’s mind at ease, and give them confidence to buy from us.

If everyone else is offering a 30 day money back guarantee, I’ll offer a FULL YEAR guarantee.

Which one do you think instills more confidence in the consumer?

An even better proof element is to make the advertisement itself valuable.

If it’s an info product give them a taste of the info, right there in the ad. The first chapter of a book has been proven to sell a lot more books (assuming it's a good first chapter)

Or, if we’re selling an exercise program, we give people a simple exercise they can try right now, while our ad is still right there in front of them. That way they can prove it to themselves.

Basically, the more proof we can offer in our copywriting, the quicker our reader will start to believe what we're saying. And when their defenses come down, our message can get over that hurdle of skepticism a whole lot quicker...

... And when that happens our sales numbers go up.

Thought for the day...
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Wordsmith
Tagline: It's In The Research!

Re: The importance of Proof in Our Copywriting

Post by Wordsmith »

Your post comes at a perfect time.

Here's what happened.

I have a landscaping client that sells a product/service called Foamsteam. It's a great product, does exactly as stated; however, he wasn't able to draw interest from his target audience, i.e., homeowners, property managers, and current clients.

I looked over his sales copy, and it only described features. (Red Flag #1), BUT more importantly, it was missing that authoritative element of proof, as you mentioned. (Red Flag #2)

For example his headline read: Keep Weeds Away With Foamsteam

I changed it to read this: What Does The EPA Say About Lawn Chemicals?

Instant, recognized authority.

Next, I inserted three questions and direct quotes from the EPA and The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.

What Should You Know About Herbicides?
EPA Quote 1
EPA Quote 2
What Should You Know About Insecticides?
EPA Quote 1
EPA Quote 2
What Should You Know About Pesticides?
NIEHS Quote 1
NIEHS Quote 2

Then I capped it off with this final question and added the product details.

Is There a Better and Safer Alternative?
Empathy & Warning
Product Details 1
Product Details 2
CTA

His only contention is it sounded to him like a PSA. I explained that your audience would show greater interest if your sales copy comes across as a public service announcement and not a sales pitch. With greater interest comes warm leads and eventually sales.

Once he implemented my changes, interest in his product/service started to grow.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Brilliant work Wordsmith!

Relevant quotes from a trusted authority are an excellent proof element
Wordsmith wrote: April 1st, 2021, 12:14 pm
His only contention is it sounded to him like a PSA.
I would consider that to be a high compliment. An ad that doesn't look like an ad is not an easy thing to write.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

Would this be considered an advertorial?

Or is there another name for it?
Wordsmith wrote: April 1st, 2021, 12:14 pm Your post comes at a perfect time.

Here's what happened.

I have a landscaping client that sells a product/service called Foamsteam. It's a great product, does exactly as stated; however, he wasn't able to draw interest from his target audience, i.e., homeowners, property managers, and current clients.

I looked over his sales copy, and it only described features. (Red Flag #1), BUT more importantly, it was missing that authoritative element of proof, as you mentioned. (Red Flag #2)

For example his headline read: Keep Weeds Away With Foamsteam

I changed it to read this: What Does The EPA Say About Lawn Chemicals?

Instant, recognized authority.

Next, I inserted three questions and direct quotes from the EPA and The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.

What Should You Know About Herbicides?
EPA Quote 1
EPA Quote 2
What Should You Know About Insecticides?
EPA Quote 1
EPA Quote 2
What Should You Know About Pesticides?
NIEHS Quote 1
NIEHS Quote 2

Then I capped it off with this final question and added the product details.

Is There a Better and Safer Alternative?
Empathy & Warning
Product Details 1
Product Details 2
CTA

His only contention is it sounded to him like a PSA. I explained that your audience would show greater interest if your sales copy comes across as a public service announcement and not a sales pitch. With greater interest comes warm leads and eventually sales.

Once he implemented my changes, interest in his product/service started to grow.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Wordsmith
Tagline: It's In The Research!

Post by Wordsmith »

Hello Franklin,

This was the client's product page on his website.
Franklin wrote: April 3rd, 2021, 11:25 am Would this be considered an advertorial?

Or is there another name for it?
Share This With Friends