What part of my sales copy should I test first?

If it's about getting people to "Directly Respond" to your copy, with the action you want them to take, this is the place for it
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

What part of my sales copy should I test first?

Post by SARubin »

Some one asked me this question just the other day.

They said were getting answers from other copywriters like "the headline is the most important" or the "call to action" or "the offer, the price, the P.S. , etc.".

And I agree all of these things can and should be tested. Because in my world it's all about testing, tweaking, and measuring response rates.

But if I had to pick the best part to start testing - my answer will always be "start at the top of the funnel".

Because what's the point of testing our headline if we're not getting enough eyeballs on the page in the first place.

If we are getting plenty of traffic, but they're only sticking around for 10 seconds before bouncing, then I'll start testing the headline to see if we can pull people a little deeper into the copy.

After that I might test the opening lede.

Then the offer. Then the proof elements or the guarantee, the call to action...

As long as we always remember to only test one thing at a time then it's hard to go wrong, because if the numbers drop we can always change it back.
But if we test more than one thing at a time we won't know which one made the difference.

So if I had to pick the best place to start testing my copy, my answer will be "start at the top and work your way down".

Thought for the day...
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends