If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

Selling with stories (what's old is new again)

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Selling with stories (what's old is new again)

Post by SARubin »

If you hang around enough copywriting circles, sooner or later someone will bring up the topic of using stories to sell your products or services.

Selling with stories is all the buzz these days, and for good reason. Story telling is the original method of transferring ideas from one person to another person, or from one person to groups of people.

The only issue I have with the idea of selling with stories, is this…

Many people think the concept is something new that some brilliant young marketer recently discovered. And they regurgitate the rhetoric as if they think it makes them sound like they’re at the cutting edge of the latest trends.

Now I personally agree that selling with stories is a powerfully brilliant way to enter the mind of your target audience. But for anyone who thinks selling with stories is something new…

… Here’s a classic advertisement from about 100 years ago…

There’s a lot of good stuff going on in this ad (like the classic “hero’s journey” and the fact that it taps into the powerful human need for recognition) But for this post I was mostly looking at the story telling concept.

I encourage you to read this ad and study it. Because for anyone who thinks story-selling is a new concept, all I can say is “What’s old is new again”…

1-caples-laughed-piano-ad-1927.png
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: Selling with stories (what's old is new again)

Post by Franklin »

Oh man! I love the old school advertising. This was before my time but it’s still easy to see great copywriting is always in fashion.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Franklin wrote: March 27th, 2019, 10:26 pm This was before my time
I hope that wasn’t a crack about my age :evil: , 100 years ago was bit before my time also. (although, some mornings I’m not so sure)

Yeah, very few copywriters today can compete with the old masters.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
AnnieJ

Post by AnnieJ »

Stories are a wonderful way to write engaging content. I always try to include story when I can.
Share This With Friends