If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

How long did it take you to learn how to write well?

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
Jasper

How long did it take you to learn how to write well?

Post by Jasper »

Hi guys

I am non English native speaker. I have been writing content for more then a year and am starting to get good reviews. I know I am getting better but there is still room to get more better.

My question is how long did it take you to learn how to write well?

Can you share your experience. Can you share some thoughts or tips.

Thank you 🙂
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: How long did it take you to learn how to write well?

Post by SARubin »

Jasper wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:58 am Hi guys

I am non English native speaker. I have been writing content for more then a year and am starting to get good reviews. I know I am getting better but there is still room to get more better.
First, your English isn't too bad (I only see a couple minor errors with your grammar)

But mostly, If you’re getting good reviews, and your clients are happy, then you must be doing something right.

I’m a native English speaker and I’ve been writing since I was in grade school. I’ve been writing professionally for around 20 years, and I still have room to improve.
Jasper wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:58 amMy question is how long did it take you to learn how to write well?
I’ll have to get back to you on that one (I’m not quite there yet 😀 )

Writing “well” is a subjective concept. It really depends on who (or whom) you’re writing for.

If you’re writing to impress Grammarians or English teachers, then writing well could mean perfect grammar, prose, sentence structure and punctuation.

But if you’re writing for everyday people those things are less important. They still matter, but connecting with your reader is far more important.

To quote Mark Twain… “If we were taught to speak the same way we were taught to write, we’d all stutter”
Jasper wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:58 amCan you share your experience. Can you share some thoughts or tips.

Thank you 🙂
My best tip is to just keep writing, everyday.

Never stop writing… Never stop learning… And you’ll never stop getting better.

You’ve been writing a little more than a year, and you’re getting better… I’ve been writing longer than that, and I’m still getting better everyday (at least I hope I am) 😉
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

Jasper wrote: February 8th, 2020, 10:58 am My question is how long did it take you to learn how to write well?

Can you share your experience. Can you share some thoughts or tips.

Thank you 🙂
It took me one day to know I could write, but it took me 6 months to realize that I sucked at it. Now it’s been 5 years and I feel like I’m good again.

My best tip is to figure out what your best customers want to read, then gear your writing to that. We can’t all be good at every kind of writing but we can be good at some kinds.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Bernice Nyambura

Post by Bernice Nyambura »

To get better, you have to read more, as you plan to write more. The better you are at internalizing descriptions, opinions, concepts, and dialogues, the better you will be at referencing this knowledge and style in your writing.

Understand your audience and imagine yourself talking to them directly, connecting, and informing them. This is why it is important to make sure you understand what the client wants before deciding on how to phrase your article. I hope this helps.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Bernice Nyambura wrote: February 15th, 2020, 9:12 am Understand your audience and imagine yourself talking to them directly, connecting, and informing them.
^^^ This is so important for all of us to remember ^^^

Too many writers and marketers talk “at” their audience instead of talking “to” them and engaging "with" them.

P.S. Welcome to the community, Bernice. Happy to have you here 🙂
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends