If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

How do I submit work to a client?

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
centerofflowcopy

How do I submit work to a client?

Post by centerofflowcopy »

Hello, I am fairly new to copy writing and I am just confused about how I am supposed to submit my work to a client. For example, if I am doing a sales page for a clients website, do I need access to their website or do I just give them the writing in a file, and they input it onto their page themselves? thank you so much, I look forward to hearing back!
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: How do I submit work to a client?

Post by SARubin »

centerofflowcopy wrote: March 31st, 2020, 1:27 pm Hello, I am fairly new to copy writing and I am just confused about how I am supposed to submit my work to a client. For example, if I am doing a sales page for a clients website, do I need access to their website or do I just give them the writing in a file, and they input it onto their page themselves? thank you so much, I look forward to hearing back!
Hello, centerofflowcopy, and welcome to the forum.

There really isn’t a one size fits all answer to your question.

It depends on your skill-set, and the personal relationship you have with your client.

I’ve worked with clients in the past who only wanted me to write the copy, and maybe do some basic formatting (i.e. bold subheads, italics, etc. just to show where the emphasized words should be within the copy). Then I deliver it to them in a file.

I’ve also had a few cases where I worked directly with a designer who did the graphics, while I did the copy.

These days I usually work with clients through the entire process. If they don’t have a USP (Unique Selling Position) I help them figure one out… If they’re foggy about their ideal customers I help them narrow it down… After the copy goes live I help measure results and tweak the copy to improve results…

If they want me to load it to the website, I can do it for them. But most clients have their own website guy, and I just need to work with them to make sure the copy flows properly on the site.

So like I said before, It depends on your skill-set and the personal relationship you have with your client. Also where you find your clients plays a role…

If you’re finding work on one of the freelance sites, generally speaking, you’re only being hired to write the copy.

But, if you’re promoting yourself directly to (directly contacting) potential clients, the more skills you have the more you’re ultimately worth to them.

Because while you’re being hired as a copywriter, what a client really wants is the results you can give them for their business. More leads, more sales, more sign-ups for their mailing list. Or whatever it is they want for results.

The best advice I can offer you right now is to ask the client what they’re looking for.

If they say they only want the copy, then that’s what you should give them. As a bonus offer you can casually ask if they’d like you to upload it to their site for them. They might say “no” or they might be pleasantly surprised by the added value of your offer.

After you have a bit more experience under your belt you can offer more services and charge accordingly. Or, you might decide to only offer the copy and keep that as your selling position.

I guess this is my long winded way of saying…

There really isn’t a one size fits all answer to your question. But I hope I’ve at least given you a couple things to think about?

All the best.
SAR
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: How do I submit work to a client?

Post by Franklin »

IMHO at the beginning of your career it’s best to just ask the client what they want, and give it to them. After you earn a reputation for quality work then you can start to make your own rules.
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Share This With Friends