Chris Haddad's Sales Letter On The P.I.G. Method

Articles, Blog posts, Content, Informational, etc. If it's not directly related to sales copy then this is the place to talk about it
GuitEnt

Chris Haddad's Sales Letter On The P.I.G. Method

Post by GuitEnt »

I just came across Chris Haddad's sales letter on his new product 'The P.I.G. Method. I know he's a very successful copywriter. But as I was reading his sales letter my astonishment and repulsion about his writing style grew bigger and bigger.

You need to know that I'm a copywriter from Europe and I do understand that American sales letters in general are more 'loud' than European ones. But I couldn't escape the thought that his letter is just too much.

I kept feeling he treats his readers as if they are - sorry to say - stupid. The big amount and kind of superlatives he uses - always in capitals - comes across as unbelievable. To be honest, I felt like I was treated like a kid.

Maybe it's just me, could be. My question is: How do Americans feel about this and does anyone on here has experience with this style of writing in Europe. Does it work as well?
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Chris Haddad's Sales Letter On The P.I.G. Method

Post by SARubin »

Hi GuitEnt,

Welcome to the forum.

I just googled "Chris Haddad's Sales Letter On The P.I.G. Method" but couldn't find the actual letter anywhere. (if you have a copy of it maybe you can post it here?) In all fairness I didn't search too deep because I believe I already know the type of copy you're referring to.

And yes, even when I used to write that kind of "over the top" hyped up copy, it always made me throw up in my mouth a little as I was writing it.
But it made sales, and that's what I was tasked with writing, so I held my nose and did it anyway.

In my experience, I've discovered it depends on the market we're selling to.

There are still plenty of people out there, all over the world, looking for the next bright shiny object to make all their dreams come true. And for those people, pipe dreams and rainbow wishes are what gets their attention, and their money.

For a more mature market (aka. more sophisticated consumer) that type of copy won't sell much of anything. Like you, I find it insulting to be treated like I'm stupid. And I don't like writing copy that treats the customer like they're stupid.

But there's still millions of people out there who want instant wealth, or instant weight loss - EASILY AND EFFORTLESSLY!!!

And for that market, an intelligent sales pitch just doesn't sell as good as unicorn kisses and magical wishes.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
GuitEnt

Post by GuitEnt »

Hi SARubin,

Thanks for your elaborate reply. Much appreciated. Interesting to read that you - as an American I suppose - have the same kind of reaction to this kind of writing.

I found the sales letter here: [dead link removed by moderator]

I get your point, I think it makes sense. However, the target group here is copywriters. And on the face of it, he seems to be targeting copywriters that have been working as such for a while. So that makes his tone of voice in his sales letter a bit awkward to say the least. But maybe I'm not getting something.
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Hey GuitEnt,

Thanks for posting the link

I finally got the opportunity to check out the sales page.

In all honesty, this guy has some skills. He included all the main elements of a good sales piece. He piled on the benefits, touched on emotional triggers, threw in a guarantee, and a "limited offer" scarcity element, and included proof elements (in the form of testimonials from recognizable big name copywriters).

That said, I would personally never but anything from that type of sales page. It was way too hypey and over the top for my tastes.

As soon as I see phrases like " people will be begging you to take their money" it turns me right off.

I mean unless you're selling the last bottle of water in the desert, or a cure for cancer in front of an oncology clinic, NOBODY is going to beg you to take their money.

Overall though, I wouldn't be surprised if that page makes him some sales.
Just the testimonials from the big name copywriters would be enough to convince some people to buy.

Many copywriters are constantly learning and improving their skills, and don't mind spending money to learn something new. Myself included. I have hundreds of marketing, sales and copywriting books in my library.

And as a copywriter I'm sure you know as well as I do, even if 98 out of 100 people are turned off by the copy... If he send enough eyeballs to the page, a 2% response rate can still add up to a lot of money.

Thanks again for posting the link

All the best,
Steve
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

The letter doesn't seem to be available anymore. I'd like to take a look at it if anyone saved a copy before it was taken down. :(
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
SARubin
Copywriter

Post by SARubin »

Franklin wrote: January 10th, 2022, 6:44 pm The letter doesn't seem to be available anymore. I'd like to take a look at it if anyone saved a copy before it was taken down. :(
I saved a copy of it for my archives. I'll email it to you...
Share This With Friends