If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

Emotional Triggers?

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
WordyWordpecker
Writer

Emotional Triggers?

Post by WordyWordpecker »

I’ve been learning about writing more powerful sales copy, and recently started learning about emotional triggers. Can someone please give me some examples of emotional triggers in copywriting.

Than you in advance for your input.
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Re: Emotional Triggers?

Post by SARubin »

WordyWordpecker wrote: June 20th, 2019, 11:38 am I’ve been learning about writing more powerful sales copy, and recently started learning about emotional triggers. Can someone please give me some examples of emotional triggers in copywriting.

Than you in advance for your input.
Well, this is a bit of an open ended question. Emotional triggers are somewhat subjective to the individual who’s feeling them.

But I’ll try to give you a couple of the more common emotions that can be triggered in an ad. Keep in mind, this is generic advice because it really depends on your audience…

Greed: Not meant as a bad thing. Simply the idea that we can get more of something for the same cost. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

That’s why so many marketers present bonuses with their offers. Because if we can get more than what we’re paying for… Then most people react to it positively

Fear: Not talking about scaring or intimidating people. Mostly just bringing up the fear of missing out or losing something, and possibly regretting it later.

That’s one reason we use scarcity in advertising (Limited time offer, Limited availability, etc.)

Anger: Most effective when directed towards a common enemy. Like if we’re selling weight loss products we can turn the anger towards two of the biggest enemies…

i.e. “If you’ve tried everything to lose weight, and you feel like a failure because nothing seems to work, there’s something you need to know… It’s not entirely your fault…

Big Pharma, and those corrupt officials at the FDA have been lying to you for years.

They sell you their bogus weight loss pills, and their fad diets. And when none of it works for you… those self serving Fat Cats simply come up with another LIE to sell you even more useless poison. All in the name of the almighty buck!”

Love: Always a powerful emotion. Can be used for human interaction (something promoting relationships. Some charitable organizations use it effectively…) It can also be used for something as inanimate as dog toys…

i.e. “When you come home from a hard days work, who’s always there to greet you with unconditional love?

Your four legged friend never judges you, never talks down to you, and knows for a fact that you’re the greatest person in the world.

Show the love for your dog that he or she shows you, by giving your best friend one of our veterinarian approved, super durable, K-9 chew toys.”

So there’s a couple of possible examples of emotional triggers. But again, which ones you use are really audience dependent.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: Emotional Triggers?

Post by Franklin »

Two great books on this subject

– Triggers: By Joe Sugarman
– Influence: By Robert Cialdini

Both talk about examples and methods.

Hope this helps!
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Share This With Friends