If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

How To Extract Benefits From Features (so you can write better sales copy)

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

How To Extract Benefits From Features (so you can write better sales copy)

Post by SARubin »

Marketers are always talking about how “features tell, and benefits sell”.

And for the most part, I agree it’s true.

Simply put… A feature is what your product is. And a benefit is what it does for your customer.

And if benefits are what sell your product or service, then it’s a good idea to use them whenever possible, right?

Unfortunately, only a few people ever tell you how to get the benefit out of a feature.

One of the more popular ways I was taught to extract benefits form features is called the “so what” method.

Maybe you’ve heard of it?

It’s where we list a feature and then we say “so what”
Your air conditioner is 12,000 BTUs (feature)

So what?

So it will keep your entire room cool and comfortable all summer long. (benefit)

Unfortunately, the “so what” method never worked for me because I feel like the method doesn’t have any flow to it.

We say “so what” after each feature, but then we’re still left trying to bring up a completely new thought in the form of a benefit.

It might work for some people, but it always left me feeling uninspired.

That’s why I created a better method (at least it’s better for me) feel free to give it a try. Maybe it will work for you?

Mine is the “which means” method.

What you do is to simply say “which means” at the end of every feature you mention.

After each feature you think… “which means _________ for you” ( fill in the blank with the actual benefit to your target audience)

When you use this simple exercise, it can help you bring up the benefits to your reader…

… Which means you’ll be able to connect better with your audience…

… Which means more people will trust that you care, and that you are here to help them fulfill their needs…

… Which means they’ll be more likely to do business with you…

… Which means a lot more conversions, and more revenue for you and your business.

Do you see what I did there? I used “which means _______”
And took it multiple levels deep until I started turning it into a solid benefit… for you!

If this was a sales page, to first draft my copy I might start with…

“When you use this simple exercise, it’ll help you write your copy in a more benefit driven manner. This will help your customers feel like you care about what’s in it for them, which will lead to a lot more conversions, and more revenue for you and your business.”

Of course this exercise won’t give you polished sales copy all by itself. But thinking this way will help get you moving in the right direction (a benefit driven direction)
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Share This With Friends