Trainings for copywriters

We all need to start somewhere. If you have a newbie question, ask it here
Serenus

Trainings for copywriters

Post by Serenus »

Hi guys. Just wanted to ask if someone heard about this training, where there is a single and simple task: to rewrite 100 the best advertising texts by hand? Where can I find out more information about this training?
Franklin
Copywriter

Re: Trainings for copywriters

Post by Franklin »

What kind of information do you need to know about this training?

Do you want to know if it’s a good idea? – Yes, for some people it can help.

Will it make you an expert copywriter all by itself? – No
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Hi Serenus, welcome to the forum.

Yes, re-writing good advertising / sales copy can help. But as Franklin indicated, it’s not a complete training program all by itself.

The idea has been around for many years. If my memory serves me correctly, I think I first did this exercise when I took the Randy Gage copywriting course (maybe 10 or 12 years ago) although I didn’t copy out 100 pieces, it was more like 2 or 3 long form sales pages.

And when I went through the AWAI accelerated copy course (around the same time) they had me write out a couple full page control pieces, multiple times.

The benefit to this exercise is it can help you get a first hand feel for writing a good piece of sales copy. And it can possibly help you understand the structure and flow of a good sales piece through some sort of physical, or psychological, osmosis?

But that’s about where the benefit ends.

You still need an understanding of consumer behavior and buying motivations for any particular market, if you want to have the best chance of your copy getting a high response rate.

The other downside to it is the boredom and fatigue, not to mention the hand cramps from writing 100 pieces of copy by hand. But as long as you’re dedicated to completing the task then it doesn’t hurt to do everything you can to advance your skills.

As far as where to find winning copy that you can write out by hand, check out Swipe-Worthy

The owner of the site, Mike, has a huge amount of swipe files for you to choose from. Just look for the ones marked “control” – Those are the ones that were the best performers.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Serenus

Post by Serenus »

Thanks a lot. I appreciate your feedback. It gives me food for thought.
Share This With Friends