If it's about general copywriting this is a good place for it 

Do you make this mistake with your copywriting?

If it's about copywriting, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, this is probably a good place for it
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Do you make this mistake with your copywriting?

Post by SARubin »

The mistake some copywriters make is believing that copywriting is all about knowing how to write.
They think the only trick is putting words on a page, in a certain order, and the sales will start pouring in.

And if that's all you know how to do, then I say go for it. It's better than nothing.
Even if your copy is only halfway decent you'll still make some sales.

But it'll be more like a trickle than a flood, compared to what it could be.

The thing is... Copywriting, good copywriting, the kind that makes a shitload of sales, is not about knowing how to write.

It's about knowing "what" to write, and "why" to write it.

I've been at this game for about 25 years. And one thing I discovered a long time ago, the thing that turned my sales numbers from average to exponential, is this...

We're not in the product selling business... We're in the people business.

When we understand what a person, or a group of people want, and we tie our product into what they already desire, it's a whole lot easier to sell them what we have.

I guess you could say copywriting is - Connecting with people at a deeper level, to bring them products and services that make their lives better. (and in the process, make a shitload of sales :) )

That's why whenever I work with a new client... After they tell me what they're selling, the first thing I need to know is who we're selling it to.

Yes, I want to know about your product - but I want to know more about the people we're selling it to.

And that's one reason I put market research ahead of product research.
If I spend 1 day learning the product, I'll spend 2 days learning the market.

Because (at the risk of sounding redundant)...

When we understand what a group of people want, and we tie our product into what they already want, it's a lot easier to sell them what we have.

Thought for the day...
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Pev Martins

Re: Do you make this mistake with your copywriting?

Post by Pev Martins »

This is fantastic but how do i go about a market research?
SARubin
Copywriter
Tagline: Spinning Words Into Gold

Post by SARubin »

Pev Martins wrote: July 18th, 2021, 6:27 pm This is fantastic but how do i go about a market research?
It depends on what you're selling, and who you're selling it to.

But for general products, one place you can start is Amazon.
Find products in your category and read the customer reviews. 5 star reviews can tell us what people like about a product, and 1 star reviews can tell us what they hate about it.

The tricky part is being able to separate the genuine reviews from the fake ones. Sometimes a company will pay people to write good reviews to boost their own reputation, and sometimes the competition leaves 1 star reviews to dis-credit the other guys. It's not always easy to tell which ones are fake, but as a general rule if it sounds like marketing language it's probably a fake review.

In other more specialized niches, you can visit forums or social media platforms to see what the people are talking about, or complaining about, and what kind of language they use in their conversations.

There's a lot of different ways to go about market research, and these days it's much easier than it's ever been. When I first started we had to actually go out and talk to people face-to-face. Now we can do a lot of research from the comfort of our own home.
A good marketer knows how to think like a marketer - A great marketer learns how to think like the customer...
SARubin - Direct Response Copywriter / Conversion Flow Expert
Pev Martins

Post by Pev Martins »

Thanks SARubin
akbadji@21

Post by akbadji@21 »

Thank You SARubin.
I agree with you when you said: The mistake some copywriters make is believing that copywriting is all about knowing how to write. Before I was thinking like that but now I know there are many skills you need to become a good copywriter
RogelioGreen

Post by RogelioGreen »

You are absolutely right in your beliefs, dear. Copywriting is not only an art, it is a skill. You need to have a clear understanding of all the processes that work during copywriting in order to make really high-quality money. Only with the proper skills and abilities can you consider yourself a real professional in this difficult matter. Therefore, you always need to develop your skills. Personally, I came to copywriting with the help of a special service that talks about how you can make money on the Internet. And you?
Franklin
Copywriter

Post by Franklin »

Persuasion and research skills are important
akbadji@21 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 1:03 pm Thank You SARubin.
I agree with you when you said: The mistake some copywriters make is believing that copywriting is all about knowing how to write. Before I was thinking like that but now I know there are many skills you need to become a good copywriter
“There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can count, and those who can't”
Share This With Friends